১. no black cats and hooting owls

The goddess lives amongst the poor, the greedy and the rich.

****

Lightning splintered in the crevices of the sky like a string of lava sewn into the skin of the milky way. Mother Kali had been put to sleep with the help of a lullaby.

They blew out the candle, watching the smoke spiral into non-existence. "Sleep well, Muktakeshi."

The keys to the temple clinked in their grip. As soon as they put the key in the lock, a voice stopped them.

"The sixth shall come to Devipuram soon."

Their fingers paused before latching the door. "Before the fifth is sacrificed?"

"Yes."

They chuckled. "Were you playing with the mind of a human? I guess so; you are pulling her here."

"She will walk to her own death."

"And I shall be her doom." They bolted the door and hurried towards the stairs.

"But beware, she is the namesake of the Devi. She must not be told about the fourth."

A dusty breeze aroused the anger of Devipuram's soil. They memorised the warning.

"She shines too bright, so much that it blinds me."

They turned back towards the temple, smirking at the ancient abode. They knew no one could stop them and their master was being worrisome for futile.

"She glows red, like the eyes of Kalika."

****

The namesake of the Devi had come to Devipuram.

Stepping into the village of Devipuram for the first time meant a lot of things for Maya. For instance, she would be writing her much awaited article on the lives of its people, get away from the buzz of the city and relax in the greenery, and she would probably be making new friends. Friends that boasted of a plethora of caste, creed and repute, for the village nourished every extreme of the society.

A life away from the hustle and bustle of the city. A life to enjoy once in a while, Maya thought. And to seek the magic of nature...

Devipuram was a place no one would be able to find on a map. It was never in the news, never in the limelight. Fortunately there was a post office in the village but no police station. Maya didn't feel the need to be on guard, though; her mind told things would go easy and good. She could smell happiness and peace from afar, wafting to her nose from golden fields which dotted each side of the wide path.

Everything happened so suddenly that Maya still wondered if it was all a dream. An unexpected call from her boss who wanted her to do something different for their upcoming Puja magazine led to the discussion of various topics under the sun, and ultimately the exploration of Devipuram was selected as being the best route to success. The readers would love to know the beauty and simple lifestyle of the village folk during times of stress and monotony- her boss had opined.

Her boss wanted her to pack up and travel there immediately and he had arranged for her quarters too.

That was where Maya was heading now on a bullock cart.

"You will be very happy to live here. I suggest the first place you visit in this village is the glorious temple of the Mother. She will bless your stay here."

The bullock cart was slightly slanting on the front and Maya had to hold on to the wooden frames to balance herself. It was a bad decision to wear a long kaftan top– the sleeves were getting stuck on the pins and nails.