২০. keep praying

The silence contains answers.

****

After the dream where Hrishav had suddenly vanished, Maya had become increasingly worried for him. She felt, somehow, that something was going to happen, and that Hrishav would be in trouble, a presentiment of disaster gnawing at her.

But why, how, when... she knew nothing, except that he desired something forbidden, and the number seven held some significance.

But what is that forbidden thing? Of course Hrishav would not tell me.

And the number seven... It is considered special in many cultures. What can then be perilous regarding it?

Wait, there are seven Vessels.

She thought over and over again on that point. Nothing was becoming crystal clear except that there were seven Vessels. It blinked like a lone bulb in the depths of her head.

"I think I have got on the wrong signal or there isn't enough clues for me to have a theory."

I can think about this later. Let it rest.

She didn't want to go to Hrishav just like that. Casual meetings, cute encounters had gone out of her mind. She wouldn't let herself fall for that man. Somehow, a barrier had been built. She needed an excuse now to visit the temple.

And what better than the ring which she had bought for him?

She had completely forgotten about it. Thank Kalika she had; her mind had undergone a change and she wouldn't go as far as gifting the head priest a ring. She could, still, give that to Shiva. Yes, she would ask Hrishav to make the idol of Shiva wear the ring. It would be her offering of love to Shiva who would himself find the perfect match for her.

She waited at the stairs of the temple, half-expecting someone to come and be rude, for example Shekhar and Manas. Or maybe find Hrishav sitting near the pond like that day...

But when neither happened, she thought of checking the garbha griha. Just about to enter it, she simultaneously noticed that the door was left open slightly and a sharp scream pierced her ears.

Instincts took the rein. She positioned herself just outside the garbha griha. From the narrow slit she saw a fear-crippled Manas stand with his hands joined, begging for mercy, while Hrishav was erupting like a volcano ready to burn everything in its proximity. The head priest's back was towards her, so she couldn't see his face.

"How dare you keep this a secret from me?"

His voice was dripping with spleen. It didn't come as a surprise to Maya because by now she had got a well-formed idea about his other more volatile, unpredictable side. She keenly listened to the two.

"I was too afraid. I thought you would be angry," Manas squawked.

"That should–" There was a pause. Maya strained her ears but heard nothing. Then she heard Hrishav clicking his tongue. "You should have known how troublesome this is. The police were suspicious all along."

"I-I understand."

"And we failed them. We failed them!"

"I am sorry. I understand."

"Just keep on saying that you understand! Oh, how bad luck follows me everywhere, literally!"

"But you will work it out."

"Work it out? Do you understand what this all means? It means the murder had been done here, in the very place we are standing now!"

Maya's ears rang.

"We need to be careful, Manas. The next murder can happen anytime." Hrishav's voice reached a feverish pitch. "I don't think anyone will be able to stop it."

Maya leaned on the door a little more. She heard some sobbing, but was Manas speaking in between the cries? She couldn't hear, but she could try to.

And boom, the door opened with force. Maya had lost her balance.

Hrishav turned back to the sound. Maya shuffled her feet and wrung her fingers. Hrishav joined his hands at the back, standing tall and firm with eyes digging into her soul.

"Eavesdropping isn't a good habit, Maya."

"What were you two talking about?" she asked boldly.

Hrishav gestured Manas to speak. He came forward, wiping his eyes with the uttariya. "I had kept it hidden from him that there was blood in the garbha griha."

"The day Radha was discovered dead?" She needed confirmation.

"Yes."

Maya pursed her lips. "I knew that too."

Hrishav's eyes popped out of the sockets. He hunched forward with his hands on hips. "What?"

"Yes. I saw it that day."

"And you didn't tell me?"

"No."

Hrishav gnashed his teeth. Shutting his eyes close he massaged his forehead. "That's why... that's why you wanted to know who had the key to the garbha griha. Shekhar... "

Maya felt a nagging pain in her heart. She couldn't pinpoint the reason. It was poking her like a merciless spear, tearing off the skin from her heart.

"The whole picture is clear to me now," Hrishav whispered to himself.

"I came here to give something."

Hrishav raised his brows. "That is?"

Maya fetched out the ring from her jeans pocket. "Here, I got this for the Shiva idol. I hope it will fit."

Manas looked at the ring. "Shiva will be happy."

"Be quiet, Manas. It is already beyond repair," Hrishav snapped. "Maya, it is really good that you have brought something with love for Shiva, but we cannot just make him wear anything. Don't worry, your gift will be accepted, but only remain near the idol and not on his body."

"Oh, okay. I get it. Anyways, thank you for accepting it." Maya handed over the ring to Hrishav. "Goodbye."

Hrishav went and kept the ring near the elbow of Shiva. That was the last thing Maya saw before she climbed down the stairs.

Something was missing in the puzzle. A slight inkling of illusions trying to perpetuate a series of confusions.

"I need to have a clear head and shush my mind. Not unless it is quiet will I be able to get to the root. A good sleep, that's what I require now." Many things happened over the past few days. The most unexpected was the visit of the five victims. "I pray to you, Vessels of Kalika, and I pray to the Goddess herself, show me the way. Protect me from evil."

She ceased walking and closed her eyes. Darkness was all around her. It was black as coal. She allowed her mind to roam free and take her wherever it desired.

A face formed out of the intangible. A face that was too familiar. She opened her eyes, a headache ruining the mood.

At present, she had to be wary of everyone.

"No smoke without fire."