৩. her

The goddess hides in the most unexpected places.

****

Maya felt invisible bony hands were clutching her without permission.

The huts were crammed into small spaces with only tiny paths left in between to walk. The poorer ones lived in houses of straw and mud, while the relatively affluent ones had a tin shed roof above their heads. The forest was just some distance away.

The sight was extremely pitiful and even claustrophobic. It reminded Maya of the slums masked in metropolises.

She had carried her ID, a knife and a bottle of homemade pepper spray. Prying male eyes were already following her, while the women looked sceptically at her from behind curtains or veils.

Maya felt an urgent need to slap those men who shot her lecherous looks. Her stomach twisted in a knot but she tried to keep a brave front. She had already informed Anandi and Nathu about her arrival here, though not Aadi Babu, because she knew he wouldn't give his consent. As far as it was concerned, if somehow she got into trouble, she could trust the housekeepers. After all, Anandi did come here sometimes, if not regularly.

If she wasn't harmed, I would be safe too. But again, I am a foreigner to them. A city dweller. A possible prey.

But she wouldn't just lose.

All such treacherous thoughts circled in her mind while she looked out for someone who appeared approachable. There were mostly women in the area, and most of them casted her unwelcoming glances or got out of her path. Utterly lost, Maya just thought if she would shout and announce that she didn't come here with an ulterior motive.

A ghostly tap on her back made her screech. Turning around, she saw an old woman with a hunchback frowning at her.

"Who are you?" the old lady sneered.

The woman looked really old. Loose skin hung from her arms and her breasts were sagging. She held a shaft in her hands and wore a nose ring.

"I am from Aadi Babu's house."

The woman's eyes widened upon hearing Aadi Babu's name. She heaved a sigh. "You belong to such a good family. Why come here?"

"I got to know about Lalita from Anandi."

The old lady's lips frowned. "So Anandi sent you here for work."

Maya allowed the decrepit woman to assume what she wanted. Her job was to meet Lalita and know more about her life, about the people here.

"I will take you to her."

The old woman gestured Maya with her fingers to follow her. The woman was extremely slow, almost walking with the pace of a snail. Maya grinded her teeth and rolled her eyes. Finally, the old woman knocked on the door of a kutcha house. The thudding of footsteps could be heard, along with certain squeals and faint curses.

Maya distinguished two tones- one more shrill and feminine, and another more grumpy and coarse. Then her eyes fell on a pair of shoes outside. Immediately she pulled her bag close and clenched her hands defensively into a fist.

The door opened with a bang and out came a man. He was on the verge of cursing her, but his anger morphed into shock when he saw a woman instead of a man. With a sly smile he remarked, "Lalita, do you serve women too?"

Maya narrowed her eyes to two deadly slits. Her tongue itched to hiss and spit venomous words on the man, but she calmed herself down.

"I am from Aadi Babu's house. I have to talk to Lalita for some personal reasons which I don't feel the need to share with others."