Concept [ DON'T SKIP ]

If you wish to continue reading this book, please do not skip this chapter.

As a Bengali herself, I will be glad if people outside the Bengali community give this book a chance and get to know more about the divine beliefs and culture of this community. This book, even though not intricately portraying the lives of the Bong folk throws light on the aspects of faith. I shall make the concepts involved simpler by giving an explanation.

India has always been a country of diversity in every aspect, so faith in the divine was never an exception. People may choose to believe in some higher power or may not; they may choose to believe in one; they may choose to believe in many- it doesn't matter. From the very ancient times we have had various manifestations of god- human, animal, hybrid (hello fellow Egyptians), natural elements, abstract, etc. One of these manifestations is Adi Shakti. Shakti literally means 'power' and is a feminine energy. Adi Shakti herself has many manifestations, and we shall keep the topic restricted to one of her forms in this book.

From the medieval times Bengal has been a strong centre of Shaktism. It believed in the superiority of the Mother Goddess. The one form of Adi Shakti which has been the love and might of Bengal even to this day, that it's said that wherever a Bengali goes they will bring her with them, she's Maa Kali. You may also call her by other names like Kalika, Shyama, Dakshina Kali, Shamshan Kali, etc. Hereafter I will refer to her as Kali or Kalika.

The images of Kalika may be revolting to certain people, because many a times she is naked, dressed in animal skin and in the garlands of the demons she killed. To some it may also be badass, but whatever it may be to you, I assure there's no one so motherly and caring as her. A mother can be very ferocious when her children are in trouble and again can be very bubbly and sweet when she plays with them.

The reason behind the nudity and overall appearance of Kalika will be hard to explain in words, but I shall summarise in some few words to help you remember -

• Beyond the rules of human civilization
• Beyond the ignorance of ordinary mind
• The eternal, naked, undiluted, absolute Truth
• The absolute power of Time(Kaal means Time, so from there comes Kalika)
• Invincibility

Kalika's protruding tongue is a symbol of bloodlust that she succumbed to while defeating the demons. Alternatively, it is also associated with the shame she feels after realising she accidentally stepped on her beloved Shiva. (That guy was the only one who could have stopped her from creating havoc. Hats off to you, Shiva)

The Mother Goddess Kali or any other form of her is also very much associated with sexual power (its beautiful, liberated expression) and the vagina. The yoni or vagina is also worshipped as a form of the Mother Goddess as it is seen as a root of Shakti or power. The Mother Goddess also undergoes a cycle of menstruation, even though just once a year. During this time her body is undergoing rejuvenation, giving up the old and what is not required, channeling the divine energies of her body and paving way for the new. This time of the year is known as Amba Buchi. We do not disturb the Mother when she is menstruating and after she's done with the rejuvenation she is washed, made to wear new clothes and a celebration is done.

If you have read till this far, congratulations– the less sensitive topics have been discussed and you are ready to know more about the rest.

The worship of Kali is associated with Tantra. Tantra is incomplete without Shakti and the power of creation. You can describe Tantra in many ways- the quintessence of a belief, perfect knowledge, doctrine, practices and rituals, etc.

Anyone who wishes to worship Kali(like not regularly at home, you can always do that, but I mean as a priest) needs to know tantra. Tantra has various sects and stages. There are schools and teachers who teach students tantra so that they can take up this profession.