Bonus Chapter: Two Years Hence...

Welcome back home, my daughter of virtue and valour.

****

Both Devipuram and Maya had changed over the course of two eventful years. Devipuram climbed the ladder of rural modernisation, and Maya reached new feats of fame.

As Maya rode the bullock cart of Gopuram, she admired the familiar swaying trees, smelled the grass in the fresh breeze and squinted her eyes at the glaring sun. When she was last here, huts used to line both sides of the road. Now, she saw many pukka houses too, two-storeyed buildings that boasted of considerable development. On the threshold of the houses, she saw women weave baskets and the world famous tant saree of Bengal. Smiles ran over jubilant faces. Children circled around banyans and took dips in the ponds.

Devipuram had become more beautiful than before. The daughters of this land now learnt to be self-reliant, creative souls who brightened the reputation of Bengal.

Again, she was in front of the tall standing house of Aadi Basu, who had become her Aadi Babu gradually. The large green windows had grown dull over time and more paint was scrapped from the walls. Yet, it didn't matter. The house extended its arms wide, much like Aadi Babu, who waited outside the gates like a father longing for his child.

Maya threw away her luggage and ran for the embrace, tightly hugging him. Aadi Babu was swung in her mighty warm shroud, his hearty laughter echoing across. The merry sunshine hid his wrinkles and the fine lines of age.

"I am back, Aadi Babu." Maya's eyes teared up. Aadi Babu cupped her face and placed a kiss on her forehead. "I missed you, Nathu and Anandi, everyone!" she chirped. "Did you miss me?"

"There's not a day when we don't think about you. These two years were extremely long, Maya," Aadi Babu said, stroking her face lovingly. Nathu bowed his head, coming from behind. Anandi accompanied him. "How are you, memsaheb?" the couple asked in unison.

"My life has only prospered after I set feet on Devipuram. You guys have been my lucky charm!"

"Come, we need to prepare you," Anandi said, flaunting the wristwatch that Nathu had recently gifted. "We only have two hours and you don't want to miss the rituals."

Maya beamed and waved her hands in the air like a child who had just gotten the pass to skip sleep for a night. "I know this wedding would be incomplete without me."

"Of course," Aadi Babu grinned. "You are the one who made it possible."

The trio ushered Maya into the house. While Nathu and Aadi Babu decided what they would wear and what not, Anandi helped Maya get ready. She was already done with her makeup and dressing– dabbing some powder over cream, give a touch to the bewitching kohl-lined eyes, stick a vibrant red bindi between the brows and glimmer in a yellow benarasi finished with jhumkas and sitahar.

"Ah, did Nathu give you that?" Maya asked. "The sitahar goes so well with this traditional saree. You look exactly like some sexy, voluptuous Bengali beauty."

Anandi smacked her arm playfully. "He did, but guess on what occasion?"

Maya feigned to think. "Your birthday?"

"No."

"Anniversary?"

Anandi rolled her eyes. "I bet he doesn't remember. Men are stupid. But maybe not that much." She blushed. "I am pregnant."

Maya gasped. Anandi screeched and the two girls squeezed hands in excitement. "Really?" Maya couldn't believe it. "You are going to be parents!"

"Yes. We had been trying for so many years. Now finally we will be having a baby." She dreamily mused. "You know, Nathu has even decided on the names. Kaushik if it's a boy, and Kaushiki if it's a girl."