২৮. goodbye Devipuram; welcome Calcutta

यदा यदा हि धर्मस्य ग्लानिर्भवति भारत ।
अभ्युत्थानमधर्मस्य तदात्मानं सृजाम्यहम् ॥

परित्राणाय साधूनां विनाशाय च दुष्कृताम् ।
धर्मसंस्थापनार्थाय सम्भवामि युगे युगे ।।

Whenever there is decay of righteousness, O Bharata,
and there is exaltation of unrighteousness, then I Myself come forth;

for the protection of the good, for the destruction of evil-doers,
for the sake of firmly establishing righteousness, I am born from age to age.

****

An uncanny silence occupied every mind as the pyre burnt. Sundar took steps back, the fire of the torch flickering in his hand as the breeze toyed with the flame. Turning his back to the now burning corpse, Sundar fell to the ground and covered his wet eyes. He had to cry and release it all before going back home; he couldn't break down in front of Devika. The latter had not spoken a word after the news reached her. Sundar was worried about her mental health.

Aadi Babu consoled Sundar with as few words as possible and gentle pats on the back. The villagers hung their heads low, respecting the mournful moments.

"He was my brother. Will it be sinful if I cannot wholly despise him?"

"No one shall judge you. You must have seen a different avatar of the man, untouched by the tendrils of vice."

"He had always been too caring of me and our sister. Would he have not cared for us later? Would he have changed towards us too? I don't understand, Aadi Babu! He had a sister in his home and yet... he could do all these?"

"It is hard to understand Ravana. Your brother is a ray of that man. On one hand we curse him, and on a new day we smile at his goodness."

When the body was completely burnt, the remains were taken in an urn. Sundar gave it to Aadi Babu, who promised he would give it to the right person who shall pour the ashes in the holy Ganga.

After the last rites were done, Sundar along with Aadi Babu went back to the house of the babus. Anandi and Devika were taking care of Sahiba and Maya. The girl was indisposed with high fever and other symptoms of weakness, and Maya had to get stitches. While Aadi Babu waited in the hall below, Sundar went up to check on Maya and Sahiba.

Maya sat upright at the corner of the bed, near the feet of Sahiba. Her forehead was bandaged and her body was bruised with cuts, yet she looked stronger. There was a sublime shine of happiness on her face, her unlike pair of eyes accentuating the otherworldly beauty. Sahiba, unfortunately, moaned and uttered gibberish. Anandi had draped her in a light pink saree and on top covered her in a blanket, and wiped her forehead with a cloth dipped in cold water while Devika sat on a chair beside the table, preparing the medicines.

"Maya, you need to take painkillers on time. Don't skip those. You have to take one after breakfast. When will you be having the meal?"

Devika had dark bags under her eyes. Her nimble fingers quivered as she mixed the contents of vials and wrote in her notebook. The thick locks of hair were wisps tangled in a mess. She had turned pale and morose. Maya heaved a sigh, unsure of how to approach the sensitive issue.

"I need to clear some things, Devika."

"About your health?"

"No."