২৫. the lunatic

There's a stranger living inside you.

****

The house of Aadi Babu was plunged into a mournful silence after the revelation. It took intense coercion and effort to make Aadi Babu consume some meagre amount, for the old man was adamant on giving up on life. It was Maya who promised him justice, and it was her convincing words that kept him alive. Despite being reluctant to leave him alone, Maya headed towards the slums straight after breakfast.

Her heart was still pumping furiously and her eyes burnt. She wanted to claw at Hrishav's skin and curse him for a hundred births. Her ears reddened and she squirmed at the thought of Hrishav being a crush. It was a sin that she committed unknowingly. And now, she had to repent.

"I am walking the same path as Catherine, at least until now."

What will happen next? I am not here to take a chance at his redemption. I am here to kill.

That was Catherine's last wish, and I will honour it.

She had made a call to her boss this morning and informed him that she would return within a week. Now, there was only one more task. On the way to the slums, she stopped by the post office. There were only a few workers there. She reached for her pockets and pulled out a letter, skimming through the contents one last time.

"To Maa and Baba

Hope you all are in the pink of health. I miss Calcutta a lot– say what you like, despite being busy and loud, it's the sound of my heart. I look forward to returning...

My stay in Devipuram is coming to an end. Wish me luck for the new venture. Bless me so that I succeed. Your daughter shall ace this deed in Devipuram.

Love,
Sona."

She wondered if her mother would sniff the underlying fear of the words. She had written as much as secrecy would allow and not deter from the path of honesty.

"I just hope this won't be the last letter..."

She yearned to hear her parents' voices, but she didn't have the guts to call them. She doubted she would break down and tell them everything. Writing a letter was better. She posted it and prayed to Kalika.

"If someone can save us all now, it's you, Mother. I will give it my all and you stay with me."

Please, stay with me? I don't want to die... I want him to die.

Now, it was destination Sahiba.

****

The slums looked a bit overpopulated this time. She saw men coming and going, shooting her judgemental looks and some smirking her way. She paid no attention and kept a rigid demeanour. A sudden tap on her shoulder made her turn back.

"Again here for Sahiba?" she asked.

"No, I dare not. By the way, my master told me that you know about th-the, umm, affair."

"I do. But why are you here? To give letters?"

Rahul showed his empty palms. "See, I have nothing. I saw you so I called you."

"Do you have anything to say? Because we aren't on friendly terms for which you can call me anytime," she hissed.

"Yes," Rahul scratched his scanty beard. "That probably the affair is not going to last, unless my master is a stubborn fool like Shiva."

Maya narrowed her eyes. "Why do you say so?"

"Sahiba has been acting weirdly for many days. She speaks about knowing the murderer, something about two women and some nonsensical vessel." Rahul shrugged. "The prostitutes heard her spine-chilling laughter echoing in the middle of the night. She gets these sudden fits and acts so strangely! One would get afraid of her. She's definitely possessed! Sahiba believes that too, well, when she's sane in mind."