Author's Note

QUICK NOTE: The sequel to Daughters of Kalika– Dhampir of Kalika – is up!

****

The very first paranormal mystery book that I wrote comes to an end here.

This has been a wonderful journey. The very fact that I never thought I would be able to do this makes the final even better. I am not sure if this is the best, but DOK is going to be special. In my mind I had always wanted to do something with Kalika and veshyas. If you know me closely you know I tend to bring veshyas in many themes of writing, but to associate it directly with Kalika and Bengal was always a bit challenging. And like many books of mine, this too had the touch of philosophy and spirituality, going so deep and, if I might say, controversial in bringing the topic of Maithuna (the very fact that Hrishav deliberately misinterprets the institution of Maithuna like so many other people).

When the book was nearing the end, thoughts of how such themes might not be the best for Wattpad audience came to my mind. Well, I had begun by then and was soon going to pull the curtains, so there was no going back. Sometimes I do feel if it's right to write on such things, but then I don't know what else to do. This is what I breathe.

[Random point: i unpublished the two analysis chapters]

Hrishav has been one of the most complex characters I have ever created. Many people will relate to the trauma and torture of his childhood on various levels and to be honest a part of it indeed is inspired from my own past. I experienced emotional changes towards divinity and the will to survive just like Hrishav due to the things happening in my family and school. Alas, his patience was less powerful and somewhere his life became paler than mine. He lacked so many necessities. And molestation doesn't make things better at all.

There have been many cases where criminals had been victims in the past. Childhood abuse and sexual abuse come first in the race of reasons. However, as much as such a past cannot be put as a guard to defend the crimes of present, they do have a part in making of a villain and no one can deny it. It is a vicious cycle.

I have found myself getting interested in the study of criminals and grey characters. Specially men. It is not like a man would one day get up from sleep and decide to rape. There is a particular chain of events. There is a style of thinking. There is planning and maybe a catalytic moment. There is the influence of parenting, yes. Such factors and certain stereotypes force people to change for the worse. But are there not men who rise above such troubles and remain pure? There are! And hail them. For the rest who succumb, punishment is the first stage and if they are blessed, redemption follows.

Redemption is the hardest part but the most beautiful one. Redemption makes life better, on any scale and regarding any vice. Old readers know how much I love redemption arcs. I have also read few contemporary real life cases on these subjects. And of course we have plenty of them in our history and mythology.

Hrishav is a character I cannot hate, just like Queen_of_life_Heba says. He is a criminal, a devil no doubt, but he doesn't get hatred from my side. He gets anger, he gets chiding and rebuke, he gets punishment. But not hatred. At some level, his past is a lighthouse which makes me feel his essence. He had not received a chance to redeem early on in life. He could have done it when Catherine came but he didn't, and for that and all the crimes he got his death.

But really, so many times I have seen people suffer without no reason while the evil rise up. The good ones rot in the corner. God doesn't look at those poor beings. Hrishav was one such case. Not everyone gets the ray of sunshine in life. Some have to walk alone. Ekla Chalo Re being the theme song of this book.

Personally, I do not have the answer to this question– why does God refuse to come and help people sometimes? Why do some people stay in a perpetual state of pain and agony? Is it fair? Do they not deserve a chance to be happy?

Hrishav didn't get this ray of sunshine ever in the past. One could have argued that he had a great brother and sister, but is that enough? What about the torture inflicted upon him by his father? His past was a mess, a big mess! Life moulded him into a villain so perfectly.

Many people will tell me how Krishna smiled through pain and Parvati sacrificed so much for Shiva(as if they aren't entitled to pain ಠ⁠_⁠ʖ⁠ಠ). But we are humans, and humans ought to feel pain and accept defeat. It is alright if someone can't stretch their tolerance level. Yet, life overlooks these in certain cases.

Hrishav was also meant to be a lesson. To teach us how everything beautiful and lovely on first sight isn't supposed to be so. Sometimes we do get fooled. Sometimes we get trapped in temptations. Sometimes we give our heart to the wrong people and they hurt that beating scarlet beauty. We cannot give up in that case. We must fight and claim back our heart.

At last, this book is of Shakti, the very word which means power and woman at the same time. Power is a Woman. And forever shall be so! ✊ Sahiba was this character who showed how far a human can go for greater good (and in a good, dramatic and fiery smexy way). Respect for all the prostitutes who live as unsung heroes 🙏❤️

If you guys have any more questions or queries do drop a comment and we can have a discussion. Also, I have got a tiny request– can you guys please leave a final comment in this author's note describing how you found the book and if you would recommend it? How you think this goes with the genre? Any other thing you feel needs to be mentioned. Please, avoid spoilers XD

Thank you,
Maya ❤️