10. Free will is a gift

"Angelica" I sit up straight in the large arm chair and look towards the entrance of the common room.

I lower my book into my lap as I see Professor Snape standing watching me. There are only two first year students sat in the corner who quickly hurry away to their dormitories when they see our head of year.

"Professor" I place the book onto the table in front of me and walk towards him "come to wish me an early Merry Christmas have you?"

Snape frowns at me "very funny." He gestures to something behind his legs "go get her things sorted please."

A small house elf inches around Snape offering me a smile as they pass "yes Mr Severus Snape, I will do that Sir." The house elf skips off to my dormitory humming to them self.

"Get my things sorted?" I cross my arms "why does no one here just simply say what they want or what is happening. Why is everything vague and mysterious."

Snape smirks slightly before his face returns to its usual neutral expression "fine I shall be direct Angelica. You are to travel to Malfoy Manor for Christmas. Your father has requested it and I have agreed it's the wise thing for you, Draco is already there so you will not be alone."

I shake my head angrily "no. I don't want to."

Snape rolls his eyes "it's not a choice Angelica."

"Well I am choosing. I'm choosing to stay here, to stay here alone. Being here alone is better than being back there with that psychotic maniac everyone calls my father."

Snape glares at me "you need to be very careful what you say, and where you say it."

I throw my arms in the air annoyed "what are you going to tell him?"

"For Merlins sake you children are all so unaware" Snape grabs my arm and pulls me from the common room until we are in the empty corridor "you realise that even the walls have ears in this castle right? That nowhere is safe."

I pull my arm away from his grasp "no one was around."

"No human that is." Snape glares at me his eyes dark with rage "you need to be wiser. In fact you are wiser than this Angelica, you're letting anger rule your thought process. This Christmas I need you to work on your spells, on controlling your mind and on your natural instincts."

I gulp as the reality sets over me "I have to go don't I?"

Snape nods sharply just as the house elf is walking out of the common room, my trunk and Moody's cat basket float behind them.

"Thank you" I take the trunk and cage mt their handles and smile down at the elf "have a lovely Christmas."

The elf merely smiles at me once more before disappearing into a cloud of smoke.

"So how am I getting there?" I look back up at my head of year who is watching me with a very sad expression.

Snape's eyes come back into focus as he looks me over "follow me." He begins to walk down the corridor at pace "first you will go to Hogsmeade, death eaters will be waiting for you. Take their arm and allow them to take you Malfoy Manor, you'll be there within seconds."

I nod my head "okay." We walk through the grounds until we reach one of the carriages that usually brings students to and from the castle at the beginning and end of term, I climb aboard shakily placing my items besides me.

Snape stands beneath me looking up "have a good Christmas Angelica, and remember what I said. You need to spend this time wisely, working on your skills and abilities."