Arjun's last resort

Arjun's pov

"Are you willing to take part in the contest, Karna?" Pitamah asked.

Karna's reply was quiet but firm. "Yes."

"Are you willing to take part in the contest, Arjun?"

Arjun, who was winded with shock, remained silent till Bheem pinched his elbow so hard he had to choke back a gasp.

"Yes," he said.

His voice was far from firm.

*****************

"They are doing it for the psychological boost," mused Sahadev. "Duryodhan is burning with envy about jyesht's crowning. He thinks it will be a victory if the King of Anga beats Bhrata Arjun. At this point, he is probably craving any small victory."

"Karna and Arjun's face-off is not small," said Bheem. "You will see how the whole city turns up to watch. It will be a huge victory--for us." He gave Arjun one of his bear hugs that was more an assault than anything. "You are going to win over that servant of Duryodhan's blindfolded."

"He is not a servant of Duryodhan's!" Arjun pulled away, scowling. "This is not fair, jyesht--Duryodhan cannot control everything in our lives!"

"Well," said Yudhishthir in a pacifying voice. "Even if it is Duryodhan's move, we can hardly blame him for this. The King of Anga declared the moment he appeared that it is his aim to defeat you, Arjun. He was furious that your first duel ended in deadlock. It is surprising he acted so late to issue the next challenge."

"But he--that was almost a year ago--I thought--"

"What, that he has gone softer than before after spending the year with Duryodhan?" asked Nakul. "If anything, his choice of companions would have made him even more determined to cause us any insult."

"You must win tomorrow, Bhrata Arjun," said Sahadev.

"You must," echoed Bheem and Nakul.

Arjun looked at Yudhishthir, who looked sad but stoic.

"Yes," he said. "There is no other alternative. But you will win anyway, my dear."

For the first time, Arjun found his brothers' companionship oppressive.

*****************

As always, whenever he needed Madhav's presence with him, his friend turned up out of thin air. Some people called him the Lord of the Universe. Lord Krishna.

Madhav had laughed away whenever Arjun questioned him about it. 

He would be Madhav to him anyway, even if he was the Lord of the Universe.

"Parth," he said.

"Madhav--" Arjun tried not to freak out.

"I heard of the upcoming duel," said Krishna. "I take it that you are not happy about it."

"No, I--I don't want to fight the King of Anga. Should I turn down the challenge?"

"You can do that to your pride?"

"I...yes, I think so."

"You are willing to let yourself down for the sake of the King of Anga?"

Arjun nodded firmly.

"And let your other brothers down?" asked Madhav.

Arjun froze.

By now he was more or less used to his friend 'knowing things he should not.' He loved shocking people out of their wits. It made him annoyingly smug at times but honestly he was too much fun to hang out with to hold that against him.