Echo

Karna's pov

After the Pandavas' celebratory feast, quite obviously directed to insult Duryodhan, both sides were itching to pick a fight.

Well, not everyone, Karna had to admit. Yudhishthir's expression was forever wary, now, and he tried to keep an eye on Bheem at all times. Yuyutsu gave his best to get Duryodhan's mind off anger and resentment.

But two people could not really stop a brewing storm, and it came eventually the evening after the party. Karna was not sure who sought down whom, but he and Dussashan, following Duryodhan's purposeful strides, were intercepted near the stables by Bheem and Arjun with the twins right behind.

"We heard what you have been saying about jyesht to the servants and the villagers, Duryodhan," snarled Bheem.

"I meant for you to." Duryodhan casually flexed his mace.

In answer, Bheem tossed his from one hand to the other. Arjun stroked his bow, which was aimed right at Duryodhan. Dussashan twirled his spear. The twins raised their spear and sword respectively.

Karna realized that all of them were armed, even himself. From the looks of it, he was the only one who had not picked up his bow on the way with a purpose.

"Come on, then," said Arjun. "If you want a fight for honour, Bhrata Duryodhan, let us have it. Jyesht is not around to stop us."

Everyone stepped closer to the opposition. Duryodhan nodded at Karna, who, partly bemused, positioned his bow. He was the last one to raise his weapon.

Dussashan and Sahadev sparked off the fight as their spears clashed. Bheem and Duryodhan followed with thrusting their maces at each other's. Arjun made to release an arrow at Duryodhan; Karna jumped in between them, his own bowstring taut.

"I will knock Duryodhan out," roared Bheem. "Keep the King of Anga away, Arjun!"

Karna released an arrow--a trial one--that brushed past Arjun's head, and waited for his opponent to accept the challenge.

Arjun, instead, lowered his bow.

"What are you doing, Bhrata Arjun?" shouted Sahadev, who was busy parrying with the spear with Dussashan. "Disarm him--we promised ourselves we will fight to death for jyesht's sake!"

"Come on," Karna told Arjun quietly. "Our duel at the arena ended undecided. Lift your bow, Arjun."

"F-four on three isn't fair anyway," blurted out Arjun, seeming exceedingly nervous. 

"So Nakul is not fighting--Arjun, take on the King of Anga--!" grunted Bheem, exchanging blows with Duryodhan.

Karna stared, astonished, as Arjun--still--did not raise his bow. Nakul charged at Karna with his sword.

Karna shoved him out of the way and faced Arjun, fury lacing his voice.

"You are the one who declared the fight, Arjun! Dronacharya's prized disciple, if you have an ounce of competence--LIFT YOUR BOW AND DISARM ME."

Arjun made no move to lift his bow. Karna was forced to parry with Nakul, which made no sense anyway because one of them was using the bow and arrow, one the sword.

The clumsy brawl went on for about ten minutes before a stableman raised the alarm and Minister Vidur came rushing with Yudhisthir.

"STOP THIS NONSENSE AT ONCE," roared the High Minister, freezing everyone mid-action.

All seven of them were given the dressing down of a lifetime in the court in front of everyone. Arjun, the only one among them who had not wielded arms, listened to the reprimands with his head bowed like he had also done so.