The conundrum

Arjun's pov

The telling-off they had received from Bhisma, Vidur and Dhritarashtra in the court was nothing compared to when they returned to their quarters, Yudhishthir's calm breathing ominous of something tremendous coming their way.

"You four," he said, when he had closed the door. "You took up arms against them."

His brothers shifted uneasily.

"Sit," ordered Yudhishthir.

There was a great bustle for the divan the farthest from their eldest brother. Nakul went a step further and sat directly behind Bheem's enormous body so that he was entirely hidden from view. 

Yudhishthir was having none of it.

"Nakul! Come and sit here--" He waved him over to an armchair beside him. 

Arjun and Sahadev's chortle died in their throat as Yudhishthir started speaking.

"Did I, or did I not tell you explicitly not to pick up a fight with Duryodhan and the others, particularly in the light of Pitamah's announcement? I will give you this: I forbade you from a verbal fight. Never did I imagine you would attack with arms, so it did not occur me to forbid that.

"Bheem, Arjun--I am ashamed of the two of you. You know Nakul and Sahadev would follow your lead in my absence--do you not realize the responsibility it brings? What were you thinking? And why were you moving inside the palace with weapons, anyway? Did you plan it all?"

At the unmistakable guilt on their faces, Yudhishthir gave a deep sigh.

"Yes, we planned it, jyesht," said Bheem like an idiot as usual. Arjun nudged him harshly; but again, like an idiot, he ignored the warning. "Do you know what Duryodhan and Dussashan have been spreading around about you? They made up a whole story of what happened when he attacked Panchal to take King Drupad captive--it makes you out not only as a coward, but also--"

"I am aware of it," said Yudhishthir coldly. "But what on earth does that asinine story of theirs have to do with your disgraceful behaviour?" 

"We were defending your honour, jyesht!" said Bheem loudly.

"Yes, jyesht--" "We did it for you--" the twins echoed.

Yudhishthir's eyes flashed.

"If, in the future, I need my honour defended, I would certainly let you know."

"Jyesht, you would take all insults lying down," said Arjun, quite forgetting he had been thinking of Bheem as an idiot two minutes back. "We have to do something about it--"

"You!" said Bheem scornfully. "You!"

"What?" Yudhishthir said sharply.

"If you reprimand anyone, it should be Arjun, jyesht," complained Bheem. "He refused to lift his bow like a coward."

Arjun's face felt uncomfortably hot.

"You did not lift your bow?" Yudhishthir asked him.

"No," mumbled Arjun.

Yudhishthir turned on Bheem. "And you are saying I should reprimand Arjun for being the only one who acted sensibly, Bheem? I am proud of you, Arjun. Henceforth, do try to stop your brothers from acting like morons, too." He smiled at Arjun, who felt worse, and turned to the other three. "In my absence, all of you are to listen to what Arjun says--yes, even you, Bheem."

"Jyesht!" they protested indignantly.

"That is not fair! Arjun was part of our plot, too!" yelled Bheem.