'Son of a charioteer'

A/N: The first few chapters of this story are going to be the same as the other book in this series ('Jyesht's strife for kinship') since the background is same. The two stories differ in essence that in the previous Karna found out Kunti's secret; in this, Arjun does.

******************

Arjun's pov

"From the very first day I taught him, I knew he was destined to be the greatest archer the world has ever seen. And today, it is laid bare for everyone to see--my disciple Arjun, the supreme archer of the world!"

The arena burst into cheers.

"Arjun! Arjun! Arjun!"

Bheem pumped his fist from the corner where he and Arjun's three other brothers were standing; Nakul and Sahadev were laughing. Yudhishthir was smiling proudly. Duryodhan and Dussashan ground their teeth in their corner.

Aswatthama, sitting on the podium with his father, gave Arjun a thumbs-up and winked at the crowd teasingly.

Arjun had never seen such public adoration, and that too, directed at himself. Fresh out of the gurukul, the only thing he had craved was his Guru Dronacharya's approval.

It came in the form of a small, proud smile, which Arjun had always gone greater and greater lengths to achieve.

It had never come in claps and yells and stamping of feet. And it certainly had never come in the form of chants of his name.

"Arjun! Arjun! Arjun!"

He began to feel his face burning. Maybe it was time to bow out of the arena.

Dronacharya had not taught him what he was supposed to do when he was the last-standing victor in the arena.

Arjun started to bow.

"Before proclaiming your student as the supreme archer of the world, Acharya," a voice roared. "How about you test his prowess against the supreme archer of the world?"

******************

Silence fell in the audience.

A tall figure in golden armour strode in. A bow was hung over his shoulder. His posture was erect, his steps purposeful. His demeanour exuded confidence.

Arjun straightened up and studied him in confusion.

He was not anyone from the royalty. Arjun did not remember ever having seen him before. His age, estimated Arjun, would be around a few years older than Yudhishthir.

"I challenge your disciple, Acharya. Lift your bow, Arjun, and fight me."

Arjun looked up at Dronacharya automatically.

"Why are you looking at him?" demanded the stranger. "Do you need your guru's permission to accept a challenge, Arjun? Do you not have an ounce of pride? Or are you afraid? For you will not be able to defeat me, and then your brief tag of supreme archer in the world would have crumbled to dust."

Arjun frowned.

"I am not afraid," he said. "And you will never defeat me."

He raised his bow. The stranger raised his.

"HALT."

Bhisma Pitamah's voice echoed in the arena from the podium.

Arjun and Karna paused.

"Acharya," Bhisma said, turning to Drona. "Since it is you who has organized the display of skill, put forth your rules, please."

Dronacharya stood up. He looked furious as he looked down at the stranger. Arjun wondered if there was the vague flicker of recognition in them.