An old friend

Karna's pov

When Bhisma announced that Yudhishthir was to be crowned as heir to Hastinapur's throne, outrage spread among the Kauravas.

After Duryodhan's initial fury had died down, he settled down to plotting with a calmer mind. One evening, he and Dussashan sought out Karna.

"I was having a discussion with Uncle Shakuni," said Duryodhan. "He pointed out a valid thing--though Pitamah cites Yudhishthir being the eldest, the truth is that he is so biased towards Yudhishthir, we can never convince him to crown me till Yudhishthir is in the running."

Karna gaped at him. "In the running?

"We have to eliminate him," said Dussashan. "And then we have to eliminate Bheem, the second oldest. Then jyesht automatically gets the right to the throne."

"But after we go about eliminating those two, we have to remove Arjun, too," said Duryodhan harshly. "How biased Pitamah is towards Yudhishthir is nothing compared to how biased he is towards Arjun."

"And if we have removed the three, we might as well remove the twins, too. They are useless anyway. They do not have any point to live if their brothers are gone."

"L-live?" asked Karna. "How exactly do you mean to--eliminate--them?

"We must kill them in such a way that our involvement is not suspected. Otherwise, things will get unnecessarily messy."

Karna was stunned into silence for a good few minutes.

"My friend," he said finally in a voice of forced calm. "You are not seriously thinking of killing your cousins?"

Duryodhan and Dussashan stared at him like he was slow-witted.

"You cannot kill them," said Karna, horrified. "Everyone is going to know you had a hand in it, and your subjects will always mistrust you."

"Karna, we are obviously going to present it like an accident."

"No!" said Karna. "Do not do this now. Wait a few months--don't act so hastily, my friend. Pitamah is just thinking to crown Yudhishthir; it will take months, maybe a year to go about it--let the news settle down..."

"If you feel so strongly, we can give it a month or two," said Duryodhan in a contemplative manner. "But when we finally decide to act, you will help us, wouldn't you?"

Karna lowered his eyes from Duryodhan's fierce, hopeful ones.

"I promised you I--I would help you with whatever you decide to do, my friend. But this is such a coward's move, Duryodhan. It is not--right."

"And crowning Yudhishthir is, according to you, right?"

"No," said Karna.

"Of the two wrongs, which would you prefer?" asked Duryodhan quietly.

Karna hesitated, his love for his friend undergoing an intense battle against his conviction of what was right.

The former won out.

"I would prefer you to be crowned."

*******************

Just like at the end of any day that had been wearying, Karna's footsteps led him to the charioteer community a couple of miles from the palace, and to the one particular humble hut that was home.

Adhirath was hammering a peg on the door outside.

"Good evening, Father."

His father turned and studied him. Karna wished he had not sounded so gloomy. His parents were far too good at reading his expressions even without him giving himself away.