Chapter Seven

Shonna

When they were done, Jason offered to show her where to get warmer clothing and somehow convinced her to ride in his truck. After he explained how the truck was his father's and the sentimental value attached to the raggedy vehicle, she gave him a pass. But at least he could have gotten a paint job.

Shonna gazed out the window at the storybook hideaway. Although the charming village, nestled between snow-kept mountains and surrounded by a remarkably green wilderness, was abjectly magnificent in its beauty, Shonna missed the dry desert heat and the feeling of red-dusted sand beneath her feet.

"I can't figure out why my grandmother gave up everything she'd ever known to live in that tiny old house."

"Perhaps she was tired of pretending. Maybe Arizona was a lie, and this is who she really was."

"She was born and raised in Arizona. The desert was all she knew," Shonna explained. "Besides, it's too cold here. How do you even think?"

"Temperature doesn't matter when you dress the right way. Most women here don't wear shirts with that low a neckline."

Shonna had noticed him eyeing her cleavage earlier. She shifted in her seat as she thought about the way his greedy eyes raked over her body, unapologetically so.

"Anyone ever tell you how unprofessional you are? Maybe you and Rigby should switch places, and he should be the frontman, and you should be in the kitchen."

He chuckled. "We discussed it. At the end of the day, he prefers the kitchen. And sadly, people mention my lack of professional demeanor all the time."

"Not surprised."

He smiled and shook his head at her remark as he parked the car in front of a small boutique. The shop girl greeted him by name, practically palpitating.

"Hey, Kiki," he replied. "Just here for my friend."

Her smile dimmed as soon as she laid eyes on Shonna.

"How can I help you today?" she asked, unable to hide the saltiness in her voice.

Shonna told her, "I'm just looking for some warm clothes."

Calm down, girl.

"Let me know if you need anything," she offered, but Shonna doubted it was genuine. Then Kiki hauled off to the front of the store, pretending to fiddle with the displays while watching Shonna and Jason over her shoulder.

"Friend of yours?"

Jason smirked, and his lack of response made her wonder if they had a history.

As Shonna gazed around the tiny store, she was unimpressed with the selection. Every item of clothing was either faded or worn down like it came right from the closet of someone tasteless and color-blind.

Sensing her lack of enthusiasm, Jason told her, "I can drive you to Anchorage tomorrow so you can get something more your style. You seem like a woman who needs labels she can recognize."

Shonna was taken aback by his astute observation. Guess she didn't have much of a poker face.

"Are you calling me shallow?"

"No," he said quickly, putting up a hand. "You're...fancy. Brand name purses, expensive footwear. The shops here are practical, and some of the stuff is gently used."

From the looks of it, there was nothing gentle about how used it was. He was right about the fact that she did shop at thrift stores and didn't buy second-hand. But at this point, she'd rather be warm in used clothes than freeze her ass off in her Burberry sweater.