Chapter Nineteen

Jason

"What are we doing here?" Shonna asked him as they pulled up in front of YoYo's cabin.

"I forgot something important inside. Can you come with me to get it?"

"Okay...."

He smiled at her reluctance. He couldn't wait to see the look on her face when he showed her what he and the Watsons had put together for her.

She had been in Alaska for over two weeks, but they hadn't seen each other as much as he would have liked. When he wasn't working at the inn, he was at the cabin, assisting Matt and Leo in transforming the place into her dream cottage. One that Shonna could see herself in. See them in.

She followed him to the door, and he opened it, and they were shrouded in darkness. He flicked on the light, revealing the newly renovated cabin.

"Oh my God," she exclaimed. "Jason, this place is beautiful."

She strode around the room, taking everything in.

"We didn't do heated floors in the living room, but the bathroom is. And there is an electric heater in the bedroom."

He knew the cabin was too small for her liking, so they added an extra room to give the bedroom some privacy. He had stainless steel appliances installed in the kitchen and replaced the furniture. The checkered couch was replaced with a plush gray couch, a faux fur white shag rug near the fireplace, and a crystal chandelier overhead to brighten up the darkness of the cabin during winter months when there were only four hours of daylight. In place of a twin bed, there was now a queen-sized one fit for royalty with purple bedding and accents.

"How did you know purple was my favorite color?" she asked. "Oh, right. My grandmother."

He shook his head. "YoYo never told me your favorite color. I remember that purple sweater you were wearing the first time we met, and I thought the color suited you."

"Jason, this is amazing."

"You like it?"

"I love it."

He couldn't hide the big grin on his face.

"How much was all this?"

"Don't worry about it."

"Tell me. I can pay for it. I do pretty well for myself."

"It's not about that."

"Jason..."

"This place is half mine, right? So, if I want to fix it up, then that's my right."

"But you did this for me. And I want to pay for it."

"No."

"Jason, stop being bull-headed. I'm not letting you win this one."

"It's done, Shonna. Stop ruining it."

She groaned. "You are so infuriating. Why would you do that? Now I feel like I owe you."

"You don't owe me anything. That's not the type of man I am. I wanted to do something for you, so I did."

"But..."

"You know what you can do for me?"

"What?"

"Love this house."

"I already love it."

"If you want to live in it...." he continued.

"Live in it?"

The way she twisted up her face in disgust at the prospect made his heart sink, but he had to get the words out.