Chapter Seventeen

Jason

Being the gentleman that he was, or at least trying desperately to be, Jason walked Shonna to her door.

Her cousin was staying there as well, so he knew there was no chance of him spending the night. That didn't stop him from wanting to hoist her over his shoulder and carry her back to his room like the beast that seemed to surface whenever she was around.

"Goodnight," he said.

"Goodnight, Jason."

"Thank you for the drink."

He kissed her again, needing one more taste of her sweet lips, cinnamon and bourbon rolling off her tongue. She moaned softly into his mouth, making his cock twitch. How he wanted to make her moan, wanted to stretch her out while she pulled his hair and screamed his name. He angled her head back, demonstrating how big his appetite for her was, stroking her tongue with his own. He wondered if her pussy tasted as sweet.

He hadn't wanted to be with a woman in years, but Shonna had woken the beast, stirring things in him he'd assumed were long gone.

She broke from their kiss and chuckled as she said, "I didn't know what to expect when my grandmother sent me that letter, but it definitely wasn't this."

"What do you mean?"

"Meeting you and being in this place. I can almost see why YoYo was so attached to it. The people here are different. Friendly, welcoming, and carefree. Can't sing all that great, but still nice."

Jason liked what he was hearing. She was enjoying it here. Falling for the town. Perhaps even falling for...

Let's not get carried away.

"There is no place on earth like Blackstone. YoYo fit in well here. She may have known the desert all her life, but she had an Alaskan spirit," Jason said.

"I'm starting to think you're right. I almost wish I had that. But to be honest, I can't wait to get back to the heat."

It was like a stab to the chest. Of course, he knew she was going back, but they weren't the words he wanted to hear right now. He needed to convince himself that there was a possibility, no matter how slight, that she would stay here.

With him.

Because he was falling hard for her.

"What about..." He searched her eyes. He started to say "him" but stopped himself and instead said, "... your grandmother's house?"

Her eyes lit up. "I wanted to talk to you about that. Apparently, my grandmother left the house to both of us. What do you think about that?"

There were a lot of things he thought about that. Like how it was a sign that they should remodel the house together, move in, and build a life here. But clearly, that wasn't what she wanted.

"Whatever you want to do, Shonna, I'll support it. You want to remodel it and sell it? I will sign whatever I need to sign."

"Oh. Alright then."

Was that a note of disappointment in her voice or was he imagining things?

Probably the latter.

It was true. They shared a connection through YoYo, and it seemed as if they could have something all their own. But he didn't know if she felt the same. She was a closed book. Sure, she responded to his touch and melted under his kisses, but it didn't seem like she wanted more than a night or two in his arms. Meanwhile, Jason wanted the opportunity for an entire lifetime.

Jason went to bed that night with a sense of new purpose. Jason was going to turn this cabin into her dream home, something she could picture herself living in.