Chapter 17

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

-Albert Einstein-

***

Ophelia's P.O.V

"You're heading back already?" Ilia asked me as we were having breakfast in private.

"Yes, my business here is over. I just came here to attend the ceremony to honor the crown prince's invitation."

"Are you meeting him later?" She asked.

"No, I didn't receive any news from his highness or order to meet him so I assumed I would just go back." I replied.

"Thank you for the hospitality, high priestess." I thanked Ilia as we were about to head back home. Time seemed to be passing by really fast. She smiled at me kindly before replying.

"No problem. You can also just call me Ilia whenever we are in private from now on. High priestess sounds too formal, considering what happened last night."

Ah yes, I almost forgot about that.

"Then, we will be taking our leave." I greeted her goodbye before entering the carriage. Helios followed closely behind me as we marched away.

"I cannot wait to be back home. No matter what, the meat stew you make still taste the best, Lia." Helios said in the middle of our silence.

"Helios, I have been wanting to ask you this for some time, but since when do you start calling me Lia?" It's not that I hated it when he called me that, it was just a bit strange.

"Why not? It sounds more intimate and easier to say than Ophelia. We have known each other for a hundred years, I don't think it's wrong."

"Okay, fine. You can do whatever you want." I didn't want to argue with him over a trivial matter like this, so I rather let him do what he wanted as long as it's harmless.

Around two hours after we left the capital, we finally entered the forest area. It should take around four to five more hours before we reached home.

All of a sudden, the carriage stopped and I could hear the sound of the horse screamed.

The carriage was shaken and I could hear the sound of our driver being slaughtered outside alongside the sound of swords clashing with the wood.

"We're surrounded." I told Helios. Realizing both of us were in danger, Helios' eyes lit up and he jumped outside.

The carriage's door suddenly opened and I saw two assassin standing in there. One of them suddenly pulled me out and I was surrounded by at least eight assassins in sight.

I didn't know what I had done wrong but I quickly used my magic power to shield myself from their sword.

The only thing I could do right now is to defend myself. I couldn't attack them as I had no magic to attack others.

Just as I thought I couldn't get out from this situation, I heard a loud roaring sound and turned my head around to see Helios who has transformed into his dragon form.

"When did he get out?"

All the assassins who were trying to hurt me were stunned. Helios was definitely angry since his red eyes gleamed with rage.

He blew fire from his mouth to burn the assassin who were running for their lives. Several of them were dead from the fire.

Others were stepped by Helios and lost their lives as well. Two of them managed to run away, avoiding the fire.