Chapter 41

"There are no regrets in life, just lessons."
-Jennifer Aniston-

***
Nicholas' P.O.V

"You don't have to do this, you know. Why would you want to see the person who almost killed you?" My mother told me as I was having tea with her.

"I know that, mother. But no matter what, he is still my younger brother. Although we're only half related by blood, we grew up together. I don't want to be so heartless to him during his last moments." My mother's face became red with anger.

"The person you call your brother almost took your life, Nicholas, why can't you understand that?" She slammed her tea cup to the table.

Ah, yes, I almost forgot how she could sometimes lose her temper when discussing something she disliked.

"This will be the last time I see him. He will be executed to death tomorrow. I didn't think father would have the courage to do it, but this outcome must have satisfied you, mother. Don't be upset now, consider this a parting gift from me to my brother." My mother sighed.

Yes, she was definitely satisfied with the judge's decision.

My brother, Clyde, was found guilty for several assassination attempt toward me. He was given the death sentence and my father, the emperor approved it.

I had thought he would give him a lighter sentence. Perhaps my mother, the empress played a big role in this.

She always wanted to get rid of Clyde and his mother, after all. My father used to protect them as part of our family, but this action had made him unable to do anything.

Meanwhile, his mother, the consort has been demoted from her position and exiled into a secluded town right at the outskirt of the empire. She also paid the price for Clyde's sin.

I thought it was truly a shame. I never liked that woman but losing her son and her position at the same time must be difficult.

"Fine, I will let you see your brother for one last time but make sure that you bring some guards along with you. We never know if he had some unpredictable plan under his sleeves even within the prison gate." She warned me.

"I understand, mother, I will do that."

Later on that day, I entered the palace's prison with two guards behind me and carried my sword on my hips.

It might seem too much but we needed to take every precaution measures until the day he was executed.

I arrived in front of his prison cell and I saw a table before him. He was having his last dinner before the execution.

When he saw me, he stopped eating and stood up.

"I didn't think you would come to see me. What do you want?" He asked.

"Some answers to my question." I replied.

"What kind of questions?" He said as he continued eating.

"Where did things go wrong between us? Why do you want to kill me so much? Clyde?" He paused for a bit and snorted as if the question was ridiculous for him.

"I didn't think you would bother to ask this question after all these years." He rose from his seat and walked toward me.

The guards were on alert even though there was a safe distance between the two of us.

"Things have always been wrong between the two of us. I have always hated you since I had any consciousness. You were always the golden child of the family. Loved, admired and respected by everyone."

"Meanwhile, I was just the son of a maid turned concubine who had to endure hatred from the empress every single day." He paused, clenched his fist and continued.

"You have no idea the kind of things I had to go through just to make it this far. You have always had everything, Nicholas. Life has been kind and easy on you. Though we are living in the same palace, we lived two different, no, opposite lives."

"I know my mother hate you, but both me and Serena, we always see you as a brother. You were the one who always tried to distance yourself from us." I retorted.

"Because I know I have no place here, I don't want to play pretend siblings with the two of you. When the three of us were together, people would always compare us."

"My status was bad enough compared to the two of you, but my appearance was strikingly different. I don't have the signature physical traits of an Aristos. Do you know people were spreading rumors that I wasn't the emperor's child!?"

He slammed his fist to the wall and let out all of his anger.

"Ah, I see. I understand now." I paused before opening up my mouth.

"I'm sorry, Clyde." I apologized.

"I wished I was a better older brother to you. I didn't know you had to endure so much. You always kept it to yourself. If I knew, I would have done something about it. Maybe, if I had done that, we wouldn't be where we are right now."

I realized the reason why Clyde turned out this way was partially because of me.

I never wanted to admit it before. But I could have done more to prevent any of these from happening.

All the years of built up resentment had led him to death. It's such a pity. Clyde was still young and talented. It was a pity for his life to end this way.

"You should leave now. There is no point in us talking anymore. Let me enjoy my last day on earth in peace."

He said before sitting back and gulped down on the last glass of wine he would have in this life.

My visit was over. For some reason, the steps I took to go back outside was heavy. Knowing your own sibling was going to be executed made me feel a certain way.

When I reached the top of the stairs and closed the door, I saw Serena standing there, she had a worried expression on her face.

She didn't really say anything before she approached me and hugged me. She buried her face on my chest and started sobbing.

I must have been too insensitive. I didn't think my sister would be this sad. It should be expected. No matter what, Clyde was our brother too and we grew up together.

I caressed my sister's hair in attempt to comfort her.

"Don't worry, Serena, everything will be over soon."

The next day, Clyde's execution was held.

We used a classic method, beheading. Using the sharpest sword possible to give him a quick and easy death.

Everyone witnessed it including the people and the emperor. Even before his death, the man was cursed by the public from attempting to murder me, the beloved crown prince of the empire.

This wasn't the kind of ending I wanted for my brother. I felt like a failure as an older brother because I couldn't prevent this from happening, but it was too late for any regrets.

I could see Serena covering her eyes during the entire process. My father also looked a bit sad. No matter what, Clyde was still his son.

Meanwhile, my mother the empress looked satisfied by this outcome.

As for me, I didn't know what to feel.

During this time, I really wish I had a shoulder to lean on. There was only one person I could think of. The only person who could give me the comfort I desperately needed.

Ophelia.