Chapter Nineteen

IT WAS SIX YEARS ago and I was in my bedroom, reading a romance novel. I squealed on my bed as the male lead kissed the protagonist on her lips so passionately, even though everyone who ever read the book already knew that that scene was coming. I shut the book and covered my mouth, kicking my legs in the air with delight.

"Oh my God, Carter! It should be illegal to be this romantic," I said to the book cover, blushing from ear to ear.

Samantha opened the door and peered her head into my room, "Can you stop acting like a lunatic and come down for dinner?"

"I'm reading," I said curtly.

"That ain't no school textbook, I know that for sure. Come downstairs now."

I opened the novel, flipping the pages to where I stopped, "I'll come when I feel like it."

I couldn't find the page. What was the use of a bookmark if I wasn't going to ever use it?

"I don't have time for this," Samantha said, "Get your ass out now or I'm calling for mom."

I looked up at her, "You think I'm scared?"

"Mom!" Samantha yelled.

"Okay, okay, I'll be down in a sec," I softly hushed before I raised my voice, "Just leave me alone!"

I threw the novel in my hand at her but she shut the door before it could get to her. The book hit the closed door instead, defeatedly dropping to the ground thereafter.

Why did I have to have a sister? And why did it have to be her?

I got up from my bed and stomped over to the door, picking up the novel that was on the floor. I guess I'd have to read the rest of it after dinner.

I set the novel on my dressing table and headed towards the window to shut the blinds, replaying that kiss scene in my head over and over again. I thinned my lips.

How brutally these novels reminded me that my life was lonely. When would I ever get to experience that kind of sweet love? I like being cared for too and I could be as loving as those female leads. So, when would it be my turn?

When would I get to be loved?

I got the the window and paused. Did our new neighbours have a son my age?

I stared at the teenage boy through the window of his room that was right in front of mine. He was shirtless and setting up his room with so much focus that he didn't even notice that someone was intently staring at him- or did he?

His gaze slowly slid my way and I unconsciously ended up getting lost in his ocean eyes. He smiled so brightly as our eyes met, then rushed for his window.

"Hey," he said, resting his forearms on the windowsill.

I could now vividly see his chest and his tight abs. They sucked in all my attention to the point where I felt lost.

"H-Hi," I faintly replied as my voice had started to fail me.

The smile on his face slowly dissolved into a melting smirk and he wiped his lower lip with his thumb.