Chapter Eight

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING, Wendy? Are you just going to give up? If you give up now, that stupid monster's going to end up winning again. Get up, Wendy.

Get up!

I sprang up. Strangely, I wasn't at the bustop, neither was it nighttime anymore. The sky was bright and clear, providing light in this unfamiliar room that smelled of iodine and other weird scents that I couldn't quite decipher.

I was sitting up on a small bed, wearing a funny-looking gown, and a drip was connected to my right arm. I picked up the thin tube that connected the drip bag to the cannula attached to my hand and watched as the liquid ran down in drops.

The door opened and a nurse walked into the hospital room, holding a nursing progress note. As our gazes met, her eyes slightly widened.

"Ah, good morning, miss. How are you feeling today?" She asked, approaching my bed.

"I'm fine," I faintly said.

"And your tummy, does it still hurt?" She inquired as she checked my drip.

I shook my head in the negative.

"Alright. Give me a minute, I'll be back with the doctor," she said and headed for the door, scribbling down something in her note.

"Uhm, nurse!" I yelled out before she could shut the door behind her.

"You called for me?" The lady asked with a smile, walking back into the room.

I raised my right arm up, making the tube to lifelessly dangle beside me, "The nutrients in this drip won't affect my weight, would it?"

The nurse stared at me for a hot minute and smiled, "You're fine, miss. A little nutrient won't hurt."

I nodded, dropping my hand back on the bed.

A little nutrient might hurt a little too much.

"Do you have any other question or request? Feel free to talk to me about anything," she said calmly.

"No, I'm fine. Thank you."

"Then, I'll be taking my leave now. Excuse me."

The door clicked behind her and I returned to staring at my hand.

I must have passed out again on the sidewalk. What sort of weak body was this?

I stared around the bed.

And where was my food and my bag too?

I held my head. My memory of the previous night was quite hazy but they came back to me in bits. I could recall regaining consciousness again in the hospital and having to answer some questions from the doctor before they ran some tests on me.

So, I did get up, not just how I wanted to.

The room door opened again and my gaze slid up to see who was coming in.

"Good morning, Miss. Davis. You're feeling better than yesterday, I presume," the doctor asked, walking in with the nurse from earlier.

"Yes, doc," I nodded.

I watched Thomas walk in behind the doctor and damn, he looked dissappointed. As our eyes met, I just had to look away. I couldn't endure having to see him like that.

The doctor wore his stethoscope and checked my heartbeat, speaking to the nurse while she took down notes. I couldn't even pay attention to what was being said by the doctor because the ringing image of Thomas's face constantly haunted me.

"And you do not feel tired?" The doctor asked.

"Are you talking to me?" I inquired, jolting out of my thoughts.