38 | An 802 Number

"What's this one about?" Nico asked as he pulled forward a book from my bedside table.

We had been just laying there on my bed for an hour, talking over whatever movie I had turned on. My head was on his chest and I could hear every beat of his heart, like a speaker pounding against me. I glanced up to see him.

"You've never read The Great Gatsby?"

"I'm not a huge fan of classics."

I scoffed and sat up. "Nicolas!"

"Nicolas?" he grinned.

"Classics are my favorite! You know this."

"I do. You're very adamant about that," Nico said, and I rolled my eyes. "What's it about? The Great Gatsby."

"It's about... A man who falls in love with an idea." He frowned for a moment before I continued. "How can you not like classics?"

"I've only ever read Charles Dickens, aside from whoever we get assigned to study in class. I don't really like his writing."

"Yes, well, F. Scott Fitzgerald is way better than Dickens. Any classic is better than him, actually. I hate Dickens."

"Alright, then. What books do you recommend?"

It only took me a moment before answering. "The Picture of Dorian Gray is a must. And The Belljar. And A Room of One's Own. And Crime and Punishment. Oh, and-"

"Should I be writing these down?"

I let out a small laugh before taking the book from his hands and putting it back on the table. "You do read though, right?"

"Of course, I read. Just... Not the way you do."

"What do you mean?"

He chuckled nervously before glancing at The Great Gatsby beside us. "I like fantasy stuff."

I let out a gasp before grabbing his hands. "You read fantasy? Nicolas Young reads fantasy novels?"

"Is that so hard to believe?"

"Yes! God, I thought you were cool," I smiled. "Guess you're just a giant nerd. What's your favorite book?"

"You'll only tease me more."

"No, I won't!"

"Yes, you will. I know you."

"But, I'm your boyfriend!"

"So?"

"I should get a boyfriend pass."

He laughed before tugging at my collar. "You're wearing my sweater."

"You're changing the subject."

"You do realize it's my favorite sweater, right?"

"I do. Does it look good on me?"

"Yeah, of course, it- That doesn't matter!" I grinned as he shoved my shoulder. "It's mine."

"So selfish," I replied, leaning in. "I'm sure you can find a way to get it back."

Nico's eyes flicked down to my lips for a beat before his phone began to ring. I caught a glimpse of an unknown number as he pulled it to face him.

"What's up?" I asked when he gripped his phone tighter.

"It's an 802 number. That's Vermont's area code." He met my eyes again before answering and turning away. "Hello?... Yes, this is him... Oh, hi... Right... Wait, did-... Alright... Alright... Is she able to talk to me?"