Mariel - 29 First Seed, 1245 A.D.

We recovered from the incident of the broken spoke after three days. Much to his dislike, we'd sent word to the palace that the wedding would need to be delayed for four since we were due to arrive in the night. While I was relieved, it was still nowhere near enough time. I needed another way to stall us for at least a few more days. Though it would have to be the last delay. I didn't want to raise any suspicions about the peril of our journey and get someone killed because of my antics. But what could I do? It couldn't be another broken wheel; the repairmen brought back extra supplies in case the issue repeated itself.

I sighed and looked down at my plate, carefully cutting into the pheasant we had been served for lunch. It was skillfully prepared and very fragrant with the scent of honey and figs. I enjoyed honey quite a bit. It was a rather expensive commodity because gathering said substance was rather dangerous, so I didn't get to have it all that often. Having it now was quite a treat, especially in such fine weather. As I chewed, I looked over the landscape and marveled at how peaceful it was. There was a gentle breeze, the sound of tall grasses sliding past one another, bugs flitting all throughout the air, and birds chirping, hidden in the boughs of their chosen trees. I might enjoy it more if I wasn't in the company of an absolute tyrant.

"Get that infernal beast away from me!" I heard the Third Prince scream from his table and saw him swatting the air wildly.

"Your Highness, please, you will anger it!" One of his guards pleaded.

"KILL THE BLOODY THING BEFORE IT KILLS ME!" He shouted.

The entire camp seemed to be taking in the scene now. There was a loud slamming upon his table, followed by the rattle of dishes.

"WHAT DO I PAY YOU FOR?!" He boomed, "Do you know what a laughing stock I would be if I died just days before my wedding from a bee sting?! And you three!" He turned his attention to the surviving concubines and me, "Stop staring and get up! We're leaving!"

We did as we were told, and as I walked towards the carriage, I felt my hands go numb and my legs begin to shake. What if I killed him? Would I truly be able to manage something so sinister? I felt like crying. What was happening to me? How could it even cross my mind to murder someone? I had told Oxlo once before that I couldn't wish death on anyone, not even him. Was that no longer true? Or perhaps it never was. I felt such guilt and shame even though I had done nothing. Was my freedom worth the death of a prince, even if he was hateful? I wasn't so sure. I wished that Oxlo was here. I felt so emboldened when he was with me the night we made our plan. If only I had his strength, even an ounce of it, then this would all be so much simpler.