Chapter 5: Being Caught Off Guard

Everyone was called down to the Batcave because Jason, Dick and Tim wanted a family meeting. One by one, they all made their way down to see the three standing in front of the Bat computer.

"Todd, Drake, Grayson... What is the meaning of this?" Damian asked impatiently.

"We wanted to show you something." Jason smiled. "So, as you all know the three of us had a little run in with Scarecrow this evening."

"And let me guess." Damian interjected. "You need help trying to catch him?"

"No." Damian's smirk quickly left his face. "He has been sent back to Arkham just fine. We wanted to show you all the video of the attack."

Tim pressed play on the computer and they all watched the scene unfold. They watch as a small half Asian girl moves at an impressive speed as she throws lunch trays at the armed goons. They see another student with blonde hair reach for another goons' weapon and yank it out of his arm before smacking him in the face with the butt of the gun, knocking him out cold. They watch as all the civilians run for the doors because of the small girls' distraction and they see said small girl get hit in the leg with the fear toxin. Barbara and Alfred gasp for the girl as she screams out in horror. Then, surprising even those who know what is coming, she stands up quickly and tackles Scarecrow through the window.

"My God." Alfred gasps. "Is the young lady all right?"

"Hell yeah." Jason exclaims excitedly. "Sunshine is totally fine. Show 'em the street view Tim."

Tim taps away on the keyboard for a moment before the camera angle changes. They see the young girl come into view from above with Scarecrow below her. Glass showers onto them as she repeatedly punches the villain in the face without remorse. He must have blacked out on the second or third punch because he quickly goes limp. Not long after, Nightwing falls into frame and administers the antidote. Tim pauses it there.

"Isn't that the young lady who wrote that paper for the Wayne scholarship and won her class a trip to Gotham?" Bruce questioned.

"Yep." Dick says. "Her name is Marinette Dupain-Cheng. Jason first ran into her this morning because her teacher left her behind."

"More like she knocked me over. She is stronger than she looks."

Dick rolls his eyes before continuing. "The teacher didn't even seem to care that she was missing someone. She was arguing with me that she wanted to start the tour anyways. I obviously said no. Then I heard some of her classmates bullying her behind her back. Bruce, they were saying some nasty things. It makes me wonder what they would say to her face because besides being a total bad ass, she really is such a sweet girl."

"Long story short, I've been doing a little investigating on the school." Tim spoke as he pulled up a file on the Bat computer. "Marinette has repeatedly filed bullying reports on some of her classmates for a few years but they seemed to have stopped. My guess is that she just got tired of filling them out. The faculty and principal seem to just sweep this all under the rug. It says here that she was going to be expelled herself for bullying but a student named 'Lila Rossi' retracted her statement saying that she is a 'compulsive liar' and Marinette didn't do what she claimed she did."

"I think that is probably the only true thing she has ever said." Dick adds. "She was talking all kinds of nonsense today. She even said that she was dating Damian Wayne. Said he was 'sweet' and 'kind'." He mocked.

"So, she is bullying an innocent girl and spreading false gossip about me?" Damian seemed to be fuming. "This harlot needs to be put in her place."

"Glad you agree, baby bird." Dick smiled at his adopted brother. "That's why we called a family meeting."