The Past

"Did you just run 50 laps?" Carter questions, looking at me like I am the world's stupidest person.

"You asked me to," I huff, trying to catch my breath.

"Yeah, but I didn't think you would do it," He cries, surprised.

"August," I call out. He comes into my view of vision, holding a water bottle.

"Want me to kill him?" He questions.

"No offence, but he just pulverized you. You don't stand a chance," I say, sitting up.

"Wow, thank you so much," He says, sarcasm dripping in his voice while pouring that ice-cold water on my head.

"AUGUST,"

"Oops, my hand slipped," He smiles sweetly.

"Alright, out all of you. I need to close up soon," Asher orders, emerging from the changing room.

"Why? Going out on a date?" Ace smirks, wiggling his eyebrows.

"As a matter of fact, I am. Unlike you, I actually have a girlfriend who I made plans with," Asher smirks back.

"You have a girlfriend?" I ask, surprised.

"Yes, is that so hard to believe?"

"Yes, you might not know this, but you are not exactly romantic," I shrug.

He pulls out something from his pocket, making my eyes pop out of their sockets.

"You are proposing?"

"Yes, we have been in a relationship for about five years, and I love her," He smiles fondly.

"I am so happy for you," I smile, going to hug him.

"You are sweaty, and I already took a shower," He says, stopping me by my shoulders.

I give him a deadpan look, and he chuckles, pulling me into a hug.

"Thank you, Alexis,"

"No, thank you for moulding me into who I am now. I don't know what it is like to have an older brother, but I would like to think this is what it feels like," I say, getting emotional.

"You are my little sister, Alexis. I mean, I was the one who beat up the boy who poured hot chocolate on you the first day of high school," He admits.

"It was you? I thought it was either Blue or Ace," I say, pulling out of the hug.

"A boy poured hot chocolate on you?" Ace asks.

"How would you know? You were too busy ogling Al-" Ace stops her midway by covering her mouth. I raise my eyebrow, weirded out by his behaviour.

"It's nothing," He waves it off. I am still confused when Blue pushes me to the changing room to shower.

I shower, get dressed and come outside to see Adora half asleep on Ace's shoulder. Blue is talking with his brother, holding the engagement ring in his hand, and Carter is just doing Carter things.

"Alright, out now," Asher commands, pushing us out.

"Hey my-" before I finish the sentence, Asher hands me my bag and shuts the door in my face.

"Perks of having an older brother," I hear his muffled voice and laugh.

"He is going to decorate the gym for the proposal," Blue informs.

"Shouldn't we help him?" I question.

"Nope, my brother is a perfectionist, so he will kill you if there is more air in one balloon than in the other. So it is better if we let him do his thing," Blue shudders, probably from experience.

"Alright, Alex is treating me to Mcdonald's. So I am borrowing her," Carter says, pushing me to his car.

"I have to sleep off the fact that Carter let me win, so count us out," Ace mumbles, dragging himself to his car.

"I am coming," Blue states, walking along with us.

"August, your bruise is becoming more purple. Go home and treat it properly. I can take care of myself," I say, giving him a reassuring nod.

"Ahem, it is not like I will kidnap her," Carter says, offended.

"It's you I am worried about. I know she can take care of herself," Blue chuckles.

"Alright, see you guys tomorrow," August says, giving me a hug and a kiss on my forehead.

"Bye, ice the bruise." I remind him as I walk away.

"Aye, aye, captain," He smiles.

"So, where do you want to eat?" Carter asks, making me face him.

"I thought I was treating you to some burger," I say, getting into the car.

"We can do that some other time. Let's eat something we both want to eat,"

"Tacos?"

"Tacos sounds good,"

We drive for half an hour, jamming to our favourite songs. Carter asks me to wait inside the car and goes to buy food. He comes back after twenty minutes with his hands full.

"I might have bought too much," He smiles sheepishly.

"Well, good for you. I am starving," I smirk.

"I am sure you are after running fifty laps,"

"Don't eat just yet," He stops me before I take a bite.

"But I am hungry," I whine, making him laugh.

"I want to take you somewhere. It is just ten minutes from here. Let's eat there,"

Ten minutes later, we reach a hillside overlooking the city. To say the view is beautiful would be an understatement.

I am out of the car before he turns the ignition off. There is a small bench enough for two people, and Carter places the food there as I admire the view.

The city looks so beautiful beneath the moonlight. The breeze is cool and comforting, and it is quiet except for the noise made by the insects. The quietness is very soothing, something you need to experience in your busy schedule.

"I often come here when I have something on my mind," Carter says, handing me a blanket.

"Thank you for sharing this place with me. It is beautiful,"

"You can come here when you want to escape and just be alone,"

"How do you know this place?" I question, confused.

"I come to this city a lot to visit my uncle and aunt. Sometimes, when I feel overwhelmed by people caring and fussing about me, I escape and just wander the city. I found this place two years ago like that,"

"Overwhelmed?"

"I lost my parents when I was five, car accident. Cameron's parents are kind, but they are not my real uncle and aunt," I stare, confused.

"I am adopted,"

                     _____________________

Hello my lovely people. Here is another chapter. Every funny and happy character in almost all the books 2ent through something terrible. I think that is what helps them enjoy the smallest of things in life that we take for granted each day. You are who you are because you survived some hard times. You are kind, empathetic, strong, a warrior. So never change. Jesus loves you.

Love 😍
Author