Last Spar

Sweat drips down my arms as I struggle to do the pull-up. Come on, Alexis, you can do this. I just have to do five more, and I am losing my grip on the bar from all the sweat.

"Yes, one more. One more," Carter encourages. I hear a chorus of screams along with mine as I do the last pull-up.

"You did it," Ace shrieks, holding my leg, so I can let go of the bar and safely land on the floor. My legs give out the moment I land, and Carter catches me. I give him a thankful smile, and he has a proud expression.

"You did it. You beat August," Ace screams, running around the gym.

"SHUT UP, SHUT UP," Asher shouts, coming into the room, and making Ace halt in his steps.

"I have so much on my plate because of the competition this week, and your screaming is giving me a headache," Asher sighs, rubbing his temples.

"Sorry," We all apologize like obedient kids. Asher sighs once more and looks at me.

"What happened to you?" He asks, taken back.

"August and Alexis made a bet on who can do the most pushups, and Alexis won," Ace says, excited.

"How many did August do?"

"47,"

"Alexis?"

"49," Carter answers.

"Woah, I am proud," Asher smirks.

"Where is August, by the way," Asher questions, looking around the gym.

"He is dead somewhere in the other room. Forget about him. ALEX WON," Ace screams and starts running again, making us all laugh.

"I am not dead, just tired," We hear a voice echoing from the locker room. August comes in and hands me a water bottle and a towel.

"Congratulations, I am proud of you," Blue smiles, handing me the towel, but stops himself.

"You only won because I hurt my arm yesterday," He says, and I snatch the towel from him.

"Whatever floats your boat, Blue," I smirk and wipe the sweat off my face.

"Don't you dare look so proud, Carter. I taught her how to fight and helped her train," Ace comments with a scowl, making me look at Carter.

"The girl I love is stronger than most men out there. How can I not be proud?" Carter answers, helping me stand up as all the heat rises to my cheeks.

It has been three days since he confessed, and I am not used to him just throwing the L word around.

"Ugh," All three of them fake barf.

"Oh please, Asher, you are getting married next month, and you have a girlfriend," Carter answers, pointing to Ace.

"Wow, way to make me feel so special," August fake smiles, sarcasm dripping in his tone.

"Sorry," We say sheepishly, making him shake his head in disbelief.

"So, what did you bet on?" Asher questions.

"August has to watch horror movies with us for the next three months, which he hates, and he should also buy the food,"

"All the best," Asher chuckles, looking at his brother.

"Okay, I have to work, so no more shouting. Alex, you will be sparring for the last time with Ace before the competition. You better win," Asher says, his tone serious.

"Yes, coach," I automatically respond.

"August, you fight with Carter after Alex's match. This will be the last time you unofficially spare. The next time you all meet, it will be in the rink. I expect good results from both of you. Make me proud," Asher says, ruffling Blue's hair.

"It's more like you are expecting good results from Alexis because she will be the first girl to fight in the competition," Blue says, hitting Asher's hand away.

"I don't care about winning against 'The Don'. I want to beat you," Blue says, pointing at me.

"Bring it on," I smirk. August pats me on the head and leaves together with Asher.

"Come on, let's get you ready," Carter states.

"I don't have to hold back because winning against you will be a challenge," Ace smiles proudly and heads to the locker room to prepare.

Carter and I walk to the women's locker room hand in hand. I sit down while Carter takes the tape to wrap my hands.

"What's got you so deep in thought?" Carter questions, taking my hands and placing it in his lap.

"It feels surreal when I look back and see how far I have come. I am happy that I made it this far. This whole fighting phase for me started as revenge against Blue, as a counterattack in response to the attack that caused huge damage. I did get my revenge, and I also have you now. So much has happened, and if I get to rewind time, I won't change a thing. I am blessed with good friends and you," I smile.

"Say," Carter stars, wrapping the gauze around my hand, "How about we go on a date after the first fight?" He asks, making my heart beat faster.

This is the first time I have been asked out on a date. How am I supposed to answer? My brain is completely blank. Answer you, idiot, say yes.

"Your lack of answer makes me want to crawl a hole and bury myself, flower," Carter says, making me chuckle.

I hold his hand and slowly rub circles with my thumb. He looks at me, and I place a small kiss on his freckled cheeks.

"Yes," I whisper. Carter laughs, relieved, and pulls me into a hug.

"I love you," Carter says, making me freeze. Both our heartbeats are so loud, clearly heard in the quiet room.

"You don't have to say it back, not now, at least. For five years, I wanted to tell you how much I liked you, and I finally can,"

"You remember the tricks I taught you?" Carter questions, still hugging me.

"Yeah,"

"Always keep them in mind. I know how 'The Don' fights, so everything I told you will help you with the match,"

"I will remember that,"

"Hey, lovebirds, I am ready to fight," Ace shouts from the other room.

Carter and I look at each other and chuckle. He finishes wrapping my hand, and I stretch quickly and meet Ace on the rink.

"Ready?"

"Always," I reply.

"Fight," 

               ______________________

Sorry for the long wait. I just didn't have any motivation to write. I will try and keep updating regularly for you guys. Thank you always for reading. Vote and leave a comment. Jesus loves you.

Love 😍
Author