2nd Epilogue

It had started with her forgetting where she had left her reading glasses. 

Then she forgot where she left her favourite book. (She had left it outside in the garden, it rained overnight and destroyed the book, Anthony had gotten her a new copy so she would not notice but she had).

Then, she began to forget anniversaries. Her personal secretary David began to remind her every day and had even written it in the calendar. She still managed to forget it, so David had suggested she buy the gifts in advance, so if she may forget the gifts were still there.

Then, she began to forget names. Edmund, Edward, Emmett and Edric had similar names, and she would mix them up occasionally. They took it in stride and laughed it off. Their father had talked to them beforehand to explain their mother's delicate condition, so they may not take offense at her forgetfulness.

Then she began to mix up some memories. Anthony had mentioned how he had gotten her roses for their first anniversaries, she had insisted they were tulips. A small disagreement ensued until Anthony had asked David, who remembered everything, and Amelia was forced to back down.

Anthony had felt awful right after, as he knew Amelia could not help this. He had gotten her two bouquets, Tulips and roses. Amelia insisted on pressing the flowers so she may keep them in an album she had created a few years ago.

Then, she began to forget people's faces. Once, when Hyacinth had come for a visit with her children, mostly grown up now, Amelia had simply forgotten about her nephew George and niece Isabella. She had asked if Hyacinth was fostering some children. Hyacinth had simply smiled and gently reminded her that it was George and Isabella, but they had grown a lot since Amelia had last seen them, and it was not her fault.

Amelia forgot who Benedict was when he appeared at the porch of Aubrey Hall, with a few canvases in hand. She had thought he was a painted that Anthony had asked to come. Benedict had laughed it off and had joked that he did not think that he had aged that much. Amelia had blushed but Benedict assured her it was not her fault, he had grown a beard last he saw her after all.

The last portrait that Anthony had commissioned was drawn by Benedict. Amelia had worn one of her most beautiful gowns that Anthony had gifted to her for their last anniversary. 42 years married, and still going.

The portrait was hung above the fireplace on the mantel. She looked just as beautiful as she had when he first met her. More greyed perhaps, a few more wrinkles, but she was still the same.

But the most drastic change in her was... the emptiness in her eyes.

There was no liveness in them, no spark. There was no storm. They were just... just grey.

That broke Anthony's heart more than anything else.

But he continued on, as if it was any other day. As if he did not notice that his wife remembered less and less, thanks to the illness passed down to her from her Father. 

Brain congestion, they called it. But modern medicine referred to it as dementia.

"Is it alright if I invite Miss Rosalie to the gathering? I wish to propose soon", Edward had announced at the breakfast.

Anthony and Amelia's children were lively, just as they had been. Just as their family's had been. And once upon a time, Amelia and Anthony would have joined in the ridiculous and ludicrous discussions, but now they preferred to listen. 

"Of course! We all wish to meet her anyway", Anthony said with a smile.

Edward was 30 years of age and it was about time he married. His brother, Edmund already had a second child at his age, having married young to the Duchess Therese Petrovna, daughter of a Russian Duke. They are now expecting their fifth child.