Chapter 23

"More than one member of the ton has reported to This Author that they shall not be attending the Bridgerton Ball. How unfortunate that the mighty have fallen. The Bridgertons are no longer the diamonds of this society.

Try as she might, This Author has been completely unable to discern what the Bridgertons may do now that no one is to attend. However, what this Author does know, is that the only attendees of this Ball are the Sharmas (that is, Lady Mary Sheffield and Miss Edwina Sharma). And the most surprising guests of all... the Royal Family.

Now everyone who had reported not to be going will be most shocked and disappointed to know they had missed out on a chance to be in the presence of not one, not two, but almost half the entire Royal Family. (as in attendance was our Emerald, the Queen, Prince Ernest, Prince Frederick, Prince Adolphus, Princess Sophia, Princess Mary, as well as, Prince Edward and his step-children, the Prince Carl and Princess Theodora).

But, no one knows what happened at the Ball that was so generously hosted by the Bridgertons and had attracted the attentions of the Royal Family.

And if This Author cannot uncover the truth, you may be assured that the events of the ball and what followed after it, is a well-kept secret indeed. "

LADY WHISTLEDOWN'S SOCIETY PAPERS, 18 MAY 1814

Lord Anthony Bridgerton, the 9th Viscount, a man of many riches, virtue, pride, strength and smarts was now reduced to a doll. To do as he was bid, to dress as his mother wished him to be, to style his hair as his mother thought it should be, and his only task was to smile, shake hands, and bow his head when necessary.

Otherwise, he was to remain in the background, away from others, and away from possible scandal.

How the mighty have fallen indeed.

But all will be rectified tonight, when the ball would happen. The ton could be angry at them, they could spew their secrets and knit their webs, but they would not pass by a ball hosted by one of the wealthiest families in all of London.

Surely.

Yet...

The downstairs remained quiet.

And once Anthony and his family (consisting of Benedict, Colin, Eloise and their mother for tonight) came downstairs, they realized why it had been so quiet.

There was no one here.

No one had come.

"Well", Violet said, when Lady Danbury appeared with the Sharma's right behind them, also looking surprised at the empty ballroom. "This is unexpected".

Yet somehow, Anthony was not shocked. What little hope he had left to restore his reputation and his family's was squandered at the realization that they could not restore it. If a ball, hosted by one of the most eligible Mama's in England, and one of the guests was the formidable Lady Danbury... clearly it would take a miracle to save them now.

"It is still quite early, I suppose", Lady Mary said, trying desperately to ease the tension of this situation.

One of the servants appeared, a footman, Anthony realized. He bowed to him and then his mother.

"The Queen is approaching, my Lord", the footman reported.

Everyone present shared a look of absolute shock and unease.

If the Queen was here... and she was about to enter the Bridgerton House that was empty, even though there was supposed to be a ball... well that would be not only embarrassing but outright humiliating.