Chapter 11

"There is nothing like a spot of competition to bring out the worst in a man-

or the best in a woman. "

LADY WHISTLEDOWN'S SOCIETY PAPERS, 4 MAY 1814

"This will teach Colin", Daphne announced triumphantly, as she stuck a sign that displayed 'III' on it into the ground. "Last time he put a wicket behind the goat barn".

"Are you familiar with this game?", Benedict asked curiously, looking at Amelia and Edward. "It may be helpful to explain it to them".

"I think we have an idea of how to play this", Edward replied nodding. "We play polo at home with the siblings. This should be similarly played. Without the horses of course".

"Oh wonderful!", Daphne exclaimed, clapping her hands. "So you are familiar with this then. Well we don't have any rules. Pall Mall is less about that and more about hitting it into each wicket".

"And the first player to send their ball through the last wicket wins", Benedict concluded, smiling reassuringly.

"It does not seem to be hard", Amelia replied, looking at the wicket in the ground studiously.

"You say that now", Benedict murmured so only she could hear.

"Though if you are feeling devilish-", Daphne began again. Edward and Amelia shared a small, very similar smile. "You can use your turn to knock your opponent's ball as far as you can away from the closest wicket".

"Infuriating opponents", Amelia spoke, smiling. "I like it".

Edward chuckled. The two Bridgerton siblings looked at them, silently wondering what about.

"Emily is rather... good at playing polo for one reason only", Edward explained.

"My skill, of course", Amelia added with a charming smile.

"Her ability to irritate the others so they are unable to make their turn", Edward countered.

Daphne smiled at Amelia knowingly. It seemed, Daphne, had gained a little more respect for the woman that is Amelia.

"I believe this game will be the most memorable", Daphne commented, and turned around, walking towards the stand full of mallets.

Edward smiled at Amelia and leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"Do try to have a little mercy for them, dear sister", Edward whispered.

"Mercy? I do not know that word, dear brother", Amelia replied and began to follow Daphne quickly.

"Right", Daphne continued. "Benedict is a solid shot".

The two Windsor siblings looked at Benedict who smiled in return.

"But he avoids conflict", Daphne continued. "Colin is crafty. He will strike when he thinks you are least expecting it. So always be expecting it!".

"Eloise concentrates entirely on defeating her older brothers", Benedict continued where Daphne left off of. "The hope is that she gets so absorbed by them that she forgets about you".

"I, of course, am a complete enigma who will divulge none of my secrets", Daphne added, smiling at the two. "And then, there is Anthony".

"Let me guess", Amelia spoke up. "The most ruthless, cutthroat player".

"Why you have made his acquaintance ", Daphne commented. They all turned to look towards the house where the rest of the participating Bridgerton siblings were approaching, deep in an argument or conversation.