Chapter 8

" A man with charm is an entertaining thing, and a man with looks is, of course, a sight to behold, but a man with honor...ah, he is the one, dear reader, to which the young ladies should flock."

LADY WHISTLEDOWN'S SOCIETY PAPERS, 1 MAY, 1814

The Queen walked outside through one of the side doors, followed by a small army of servants and guards, of course. She had left the horse race before Amelia and Ferdinand did, which was how she had gotten back home before the group arrived.

"Your Majesty", Miss Edwina uttered, bowing. Lord Briderton and King Ferdinand quickly followed suit.

Amelia in return did a quick bow to show her respect, but Charlotte was her mother after all.

"Ah! We have guests", Charlotte exclaimed, seeing Miss Edwina and Viscount Bridgerton.

"I do hope we did not intrude", Miss Edwina piped up immediately. "Her Grace, Princess Amelia was kind enough to invite us to see your...".

Amelia smiled. "Zebra", she repeated.

"Zebra", Edwina agreed.

"Not at all", Charlotte replied, waving her hand dismissively. "I do like good company".

Amelia smiled at Edwina, offering to walk beside her.

"This way, ladies and gentlemen. There is much to see", Queen Charlotte offered and the two pairs quickly followed the Queen, accompanied by servants.

King Ferdinand and Viscount Bridgerton were forced to walk beside one another, as Amelia had insisted upon walking beside Edwina. The two men were very quiet and Lord Bridgerton had his fists clenched beside him, and his jaw too. He was not happy at all, Amelia realized. But Ferdinand was his usual self. So it could not have been something between them, could it be?

Neither men could understand why she would do such a thing. But then again, neither pretended to understand the female mind either.

They walked up a small staircase, the Queen lead them to the side, where one could see the different zebra over the railing.

They looked just like horses, only black and white. And their tails were kind of funny.

"Seven more arrive next week", Charlotte explained. "Though I can't quite think what to name them all. After 15 children, I seem to have run out of ideas".

"You ran out of ideas while having the children", Amelia remarked, earning a laugh from her mother and an amused glance from Ferdinand.

"That is true. I had a tendency to repeat the second names", Charlotte contested.

"She named me Amelia Sophia Augusta", Amelia explained, turning to her company. "Sophia and Augusta are two of my sisters".

"Oh!", Charlotte exclaimed. "Shush".

Edwina and Ferdinand both laughed at the mother and daughter. It was common knowledge how much the two adored each other.

"It is the most spectacular menagerie, your Majesty", Viscount Bridgerton remarked.

"Indeed, it is", Ferdinand agreed quickly.

"Do they have zebras in Spain?", Charlotte asked, curiously.

"Unfortunately, no", Ferdinand replied, looking regretful.

"Oh how sad", Charlotte remarked. There was not a hint of sadness.

"Why do you need so many, Mama?", Amelia asked, looking away from the wonders for just a short moment.

"Well the first one was a gift", Charlotte exclaimed. "But I couldn't very well let him be alone here in England, now could I?".