Chapter 3 - Smiles and a Song

A few days went by and I stayed in the cabin by myself. The pirates were getting more restless, more worried.

Yorki: "It's been a few days and she hasn't said a word to anyone."

Brook: "Every time we bring her food or try to talk to her, she silently hides in the closet. Is she afraid of us?"

Yorki: "No... I don't think that's it. Though she is afraid of something."

Brook: "You said she mentioned about not being able to go home."

Yorki: "Yeah... then there's the sea prism that was around her neck *sigh* We can't help if she won't talk to us..."

Brook: "Speaking of, what happened with that neck shackle?"

Yorki: "After we unlocked it with that key she had and took it off her, I tried to get it checked for a tracker or something, but we couldn't bust in to it."

Brook: "You kept it?"

Yorki: "...... Yeah... Though do me a favour and don't tell Gwen that."

Laboon chirped out and they looked overboard to see he was worried too.

Yorki: "She hasn't come out or said anything yet, buddy."

Brook looked around at the crew to see only sad and concerned faces.

Brook: "Ah, I've had enough of moping around!"

Yorki: "Brook..."

The crew was a little startled by his abrupt shout.

Brook: "We're not going to get anywhere sitting around miserably! There's a little girl up there who needs our help."

They gathered around as he had their attention.

Brook: "Come, let's play my friends! Music is the key to the soul!"

The crew smiled and took up their instruments.

Brook: "The Rumbar Pirates can bring a smile to the face of any child! Let's show her how we do it, boys!"

Crew: "Damn right, Brook!"

Meanwhile... I was lying on the bed in the captain's cabin where they left me, feeling more depressed than I've ever been in my life.

Gwen: "How do I keep getting myself in these messes, first getting betrayed by my family, then nearly getting killed on the way to Impel Down, now I'm stuck on a pirate ship with nowhere to go... Though I suppose this is better than a marine ship. These pirates have been nothing but kind to me... yet I've just been giving them the cold shoulder..."

I sat up and sighed with my head in my hands, tears filling my eyes.

Gwen: "I'm nothing but a burden... This is all because I ate that fruit... I was just a stupid, stupid kid... though I guess I still am... *sigh* I should just jump back in the sea-"

My thoughts were cut off by a familiar melody.

Gwen: "That's... music?"

I sat up and listened for a minute and recognised the tune. It was the liveliest version of Binks' Brew I've ever heard. Curiosity overtook me and I stood up and walked to the door as if entranced by the music. I wiped my face, practically forgetting why I was crying and tried to peek through the porthole window on my tip toes.

Gwen: "I can't see anything."

If I wanted to see what was happening on deck, then I had to go out. I swallowed my nerves and as I slowly opened the cabin door, I could hear the song more clearly. I peeked down on deck to see the crew playing instruments and dancing. I didn't know pirates were a band of such lively musicians.

Gwen: "that... looks like fun..."

I was mesmerised. But I flinched and ducked down as the tall man with the afro looked up at me.

Brook: "Don't be afraid!"

Gwen: "Hm?"

I peeked up again to see the crew giving me bright, welcoming smiles.

Brook: "Come and sing with us!"

I pointed to myself like I didn't know who he was talking to.

Brook: "YOHOHOHO!"

Yorki: "Gwen!"

Gwen: "Huh...?"

Yorki: "There are some nasty pirates out there, but we pride ourselves on bringing smiles to children in need!"

Crew: "Yeah!"

Watching everyone singing, dancing, playing music and having fun... I wanted in on it. In that moment, I completely forgot about my troubles, and a smile graced my face for the first time in days.

 In that moment, I completely forgot about my troubles, and a smile graced my face for the first time in days