Chapter 23 - Hunters & Straw Hats

50 YEARS After the Rumbar Crew left the Twin Capes...

I was sat alone in my room, working on a song I was writing. A ballad of unlikely friends.

Gwen: "~~Then one day, my lost soul claimed a friend. One so tall, he fought for his men. His kind-hearted ways changed my warrior mind. Together we sang all our tales with pride. A place in the west far from the world. We fought for each other through many a war, two warrior friends who ne'er could die. No matter how I wished him to be at my side~~"

The faint sound of screaming briefly got my attention. But I paid it know mind, knowing it was just another ship coming down the mountain.

Gwen: "~~Ancient one, lonely one, come rest your head. I'll hold you gently safe in my grasp. I smile upon you, my weathered champion. Come ancient wanderer, come home. This is your hour~~"

The fait screaming turned into someone shouting.

Luffy: "Hey you! Can you hear me?! Spit 'em out! I want my friends! Damn you!"

Gwen: "What the hell is going on out there?"

Luffy: "Stop sinking, I mean it! My friends and me are on an important adventure! Give them back!"

Gwen: "Oh shit. Laboon!!"

I set my guitar on my bed and ran out of the lighthouse. Laboon wasn't there, but the waves told me he just dove down.

Gwen: "LABOON! COME BACK WHERE I CAN SEE YOU!"

He resurfaced after a minute and stared at me, peeking just above the surface, probably sensing I was cross.

Gwen: "Tell me the truth, mister! What did you just swallow?!"

He looked away from me but based on the screaming and shouting I had heard, I could make a solid guess.

Gwen: "Was it a ship??!"

He nodded slowly.

Gwen: "SPIT THEM OUT, RIGHT NOW! YOU KNOW NOT TO SWALLOW SHIPS!"

He moaned and turned, showing me his eye.

Gwen: "Your eye is red... Did they hurt you?"

He nodded.

Gwen: "It wasn't them... right?"

He shook his head, and I breathed a sigh of relief. I was referring to a pair of hunters who come for Laboon every so often. I manage to chase them off each time but they're relentless, a real pain. Laboon knows them, so he'd tell me if they were here. Still, these pirates hurt my brother, which meant they're not to be trusted.

Gwen: "Ah geez... where's Crocus?"

I knew he wasn't in the lighthouse, that could only mean he was on his island boat.

Gwen: "He's in there with them. Right!"

With Humming Steel on my belt, I tied my hair back and hopped on one of our row boats.

Gwen: "Let me in, Laboon!"

He shook his head in defiance.

Gwen: "What if they're bad pirates?! You know we get just as many of those! Come on now, open wide!"

He reluctantly opened his mouth and with help from the current, I went inside.

Gwen: "There's a good boy. I'm gonna try find Crocus before they do. Stay still for me, okay."