Chapter 22 - Young Apprentices

Jesse Waldock: "Quick warning! This chapter contains a bit of a Marineford Spoiler!"

25 YEARS After the Rumbar Crew left the Twin Capes... Gwen's Age: Biologically 11, Chronologically 41

Gwen: "A ship's coming down, buddy, careful not to block them."

Laboon understood to stay back until we could be totally sure they were safe.

Gwen: "That's it, good job."

There's always that sense of disappointment, seeing it's not our ship. However, I've always found it amusing hearing a few dozen grown men scream like little girls as they come down the mountain.

Gwen: "Hah, never gets old. HEY CROCUS! SHIP!"

Crocus: "Tell your brother to stay clear!!"

Gwen: "I DID! JUST COME AND... and... what the...?"

But this time... I happened to notice something odd. As they almost made it to the bottom, among all the men clinging for dear life, there were two little boys aboard.

Gwen: "I must be seeing things... how old are those boys?"

Aside from myself, I'd never seen young children on a pirate ship before. I even looked up to their Jolly Roger to double check they were pirates.

Gwen: "What in this new world are they doing here...?"

I tried to let it go for now as my job was to survey their first impressions. As the adrenaline settled, a man who I assumed to be the captain yelled out proudly.

Roger: "This is it, men! WE MADE IT TO THE GRAND LINE!"

I smiled as the crew cheered, recognising their excitement.

Shanks (12): "Hahaha! That was fun! Can we go again?!"

I giggled as the boy with bright red hair and a straw hat stood up, excited and energised.

Buggy (12): "No way! I thought I was gonna die!"

The boy with the striped shirt and red nose stood up rubbing his head.

Jesse Waldock: "I could be wrong, but according to my research and calculations, Shanks and Buggy were about 12 years old when Roger entered the Grand Line. I don't even know if they joined him before or after, so sorry if I'm wrong, but this is just what we're going with. I also have no clue how old Buggy was when he ate his devil fruit, so we're going to say he hasn't yet."

Shanks: "It was just like a giant waterslide. Don't be so precious, Buggy Boo."

Buggy: "Stop calling me-! Hm?"

He turned and noticed me staring at them from the shore.

Buggy: "She's pretty..."

Shanks: "Hm? Oh her! Yeah... Out of your league."

Buggy: "SHUT UP!"

Rayleigh: "Now boys, be polite. We're guests here."

Roger: "All ashore, everyone! Let's meet our hosts!"

Roger Pirates: "Aye, captain!"

As they pulled their ship in, Crocus finally came out.

Crocus: "First impressions?"

Gwen: "They seem fun. But let's meet them first."

Crocus and I stood waiting patiently for the crew to come ashore.