Chapter 19 - Loose Cargo

With the distractions and setbacks, it was sunrise by the time we set off. I ran into the ocean as far as I could before climbing on Laboon's back. We travelled in the direction our ship left for the whole day, only stopping once to catch some food and keep going.

Gwen: "Ughh... beggars can't be choosers, but I wish I could cook this fish."

Laboon chirped.

Gwen: "Glad you're enjoying it at least."

Another few hours into the night and we finally found and caught up with them. We could see our ship on the horizon.

Gwen: "Laboon, look. There they are."

He was happy we found them, but still whimpered, missing them.

Gwen: "I know, buddy... Come on. To the Hull, silently."

I slid off his back, holding my breath as he grabbed me and took us both towards our ship, staying underwater to avoid any detection. I was certain they were looking out for us. He lifted me to the surface under the ship and I gasped for breath trying to stay silent as possible. He whimpered concerningly.

Gwen: "Shh, shh... I'm okay..."

He nodded.

Daisu: "What was that...?"

I froze and covered my mouth, ensuring complete silence.

Daisu: "*sigh* I'm just imagining things... Pip, Laboon... I miss them so much, it's driving me crazy... I hope they're not too mad at us..."

I knew it hurt just as much for the crew to have done what they did, and I know why they did it, so we're not mad. But we won't accept it. That's why we're here. I whispered so only Laboon could here.

Gwen: "The stern, I'm going abord."

He helped me get around back where it was easier to climb up without detection.

Gwen: "Stay out of sight, stay quiet, and stay safe. Just have to make it over the mountain. We can't get caught before we reach the Grand Line. Understand?"

He nodded and I kissed his head.

Gwen: "See you on the other side, brother."

I climbed up the stern and snuck around the side of the cabin.

Gwen: 'I just have to sneak past Daisu, and we're good to go.'

That was actually the easy part with Daisu's attention being on the horizon. I was able to silently slip below deck.

Gwen: 'The lower cargo hold. I can hide in there easily.'

At least I thought it was going to be easy until I hear right above me...

Yorki: "Daisu, any sign of them?"

Daisu: "No, sir."

Yorki: "Alright, well... get yourself to bed. I'll take over watch."

I could hear the guilt and melancholy in his voice.

Daisu: "Really? But it was supposed to be Brook's turn. Are you sure?"

Yorki: "Yeah, I'm sure... I... can't sleep anyway. Go on, Daisu."

Daisu: "Okay then... Good night, captain."

Yorki: "Good night..."

It occurred to me in that second!

Gwen: 'Daisu's gonna come this way!!'