Chapter 4 - Past and Future

Feeling comfortable around this lot of fun, musical pirates, Captain Yorki introduced me to the rest of the crew.

Yorki: "Last but not least, this is my first mate."

He gestured to the tall man with the afro.

Brook: "Pleasure to officially meet you, Gwen. I'm the Rumbar's musician and swordsmen. The name's Brook."

I smiled as he tipped his hat to me.

Daisu: "He's also the user of the Revive Revive fruit. Cool, huh?"

My eyes widened.

Gwen: "You're..."

Brook: "Hey, it's not that big a deal."

Daisu: "No need to be bashful."

Arito: "Although it is kinda lame you can't swim now."

Brook: "Who're you calling bashful?!"

While Brook was being teased by his crewmates, I stood there shocked to meet another devil fruit user.

Brook: "I'm not the only one in the world, you know!"

Yorki: "Yeah, but you're the only one on this crew."

Brook: "That's no reason to make fun of me!!"

Gwen: "You too...?"

Brook: "Hm? What was that?"

Gwen: "Sorry, it was nothing."

Yorki: "So... what's your story, kid?"

Gwen: "Uhm... mm..."

Yorki: "Don't worry, we just wanna help you."

I glanced at the crew as they stood around me with smiles. These pirates have shown me nothing but kindness, and I had nothing to lose, so I decided to let them in.

Gwen: "... What do you want to know?"

Yorki: "Where are you from?"

Gwen: "I was born and raised here in the West Blue. A little town called Marmoris Bay."

Brook: "Didn't you mention that you can't go back home?"

Gwen: "I did."

Yorki: "That have anything to do with how you ended up in the middle of the ocean?"

Gwen: "Yes... My parents sold me out to the marines."

The crew was shocked.

Yorki: "Why would they do that?"

I took a deep breath as I decided to tell them the whole story.

Gwen: "The marines call me E.C... It's short for Eternal Child... I gained that nickname, after they caught wind of my devil fruit."

Everyone gasped.

"You're a devil fruit user?!" "That explains the shackle she was wearing when Laboon brought her here."

Gwen: "My 'ability' is harmless really. What the marines... and my parents... are really afraid of, is my immunity to seawater."

Brook: "Your WHAT to WHAT NOW?!"

Gwen: "You heard me... I don't know how, or why. But sea water and sea prism stone doesn't affect me like normal devil fruit users. There only seems to be one way to weaken me."