Chapter 6

Grand Prix's were loud and crazy. In imola, I had mainly stayed in the Mclaren hospitality suite, but this time was different. I was stood in the garage, surrounded by screens and people, headphones on, fully focused on the car beside me.

Charles had gone to get changed into his race suit, so I was left looking into the pit lane where crew members from different teams rushed up and down. It was almost time for the cars to line up on the grid.

"Hey," Charles soft voice came from beside me. "Are you ok down here? You can always go upstairs."

"No, no, I like it here with the headphones, it makes me feel important," I laughed as I watched his face relax. I could sense his nerves. "More importantly, how are you?"

"Terrified," he answered honestly, which surprised me, he wasn't afraid to show emotion. "At least I'm starting p2."

"You'll do great," I tried to offer a supportive smile, but he kept getting distracted looking up and seeing the grandstand full of fans. I touched his arm. "Don't worry about them."

After spending more time with him in the past few days, I learnt about his fears of disappointing people, especially the Ferrari fans. The pressure of his home race was overwhelming.

"Charles, andiamo," the race engineer called him away from me.

I have him one final reassuring smile before he disappeared out of the garage.

"AND CHARLES LECLERC WINS THE 2023 MONACO GRAND PRIX!"

The voice on the commentary boomed over the circuit. The crowd erupted in cheers and the pit crew jumped around and hugged each other. Charles voice came screaming joyfully through the headphones and into my ears. The sound made my heart sing.

"We did it, we actually did it!" His voice was ecstatic, as I watched him speed round the track with his fist in the air.

A few minutes later, he was on the podium, soaked with champagne and his face beaming like the sun on a warm summer's day. I saw him look down at me his trophy in his hand. He waved it at me, looking like a kid at Christmas. I laughed at him as he waved to the bouncing crowd. Their cheers defended me. I knew Charles was popular, but you could probably hear their noise on the moon.

Back in the garage, the team leapt on Charles (and Carlos, who had come 3rd). They were speaking very fast Italian, and as my Italian knowledge only went as far as the word "pizza", I struggled to keep up.

Suddenly, Charles focused on me. I was standing in his driver's room, staring down the hallway. His hair was still wet around his face, this man was dangerous.

"Thank you for being here," he said, still smiling.

"You drove incredibly," I looked into his eyes, and my breath quickened. I wanted to kiss him so much.

"You must be my good luck charm," he said, his eyes not moving from mine once. His lips were so close to mine.

"Just a charm? I'd rather be the whole thing."

"You could be an entire jewellery shop, and nothing would compare to you," his face became more serious.

I blushed, only Charles Leclerc could get away with saying that. "Charles, this is dangerous."

"I'm a Formula 1 driver, I live for danger."

All of a sudden I realised I couldn't wait any more. My heart pounded as his hand moved a piece of hair out of my face.

"Kiss me then."

Without a second look his lips crashed into mine.