Chapter 26

Charles' pov

I had never really been known to do anything spontaneous. In my world, everything was planned out meticulously. But, as I know all to well, things went wrong no matter what.

That's why I was here. Driving down the winding narrow roads of the Lake District, in a little rental car that sounded more like a tractor.

After my little 'talk' with Ella. I had mulled over nearly every possible way that my life could go, most of them led to me, alone in my apartment, eating another Chinese and watching basketball. However, Ella planted something in my mind that sprouted into an idea. I booked the soonest flight to Manchester airport and now, here I was.

Making it up toY/n had been the only thing on my mind for the last few weeks and I had been too stubborn to see it. Regret flooded into me as I thought about Viola. There was no excuse for that.

Rain started spitting onto the windscreen, the clouds were heavy and dark, like they could burst. I pulled up outside the old farmhouse. It looked in-front of me. I opened the door before quickly running to the cover of the porch. I hesitated before I knocked. What was I supposed to say? Would she even hear me out after what I had done?

I knocked before I could talk myself out of it. No answer. I tried again just to be sure, but the house was silent. I turned around to look at the driveway and realised there was no car and no quad bike. They were both out.

My heart dropped in my chest. Had I really come all this way for nothing? I walked away from the door. The rain was pouring now. I walked round to look down the side of the house back through to the farm. The dogs were gone, I assumed her dad was out in the fields.

Crestfallen, I wandered back to my car. Just as I reached for the keys, I heard the sound of crunching gravel as the Land Rover pulled next to the car. Y/n sat behind the wheel. My heart picked up again.

"Charles? What the hell?" She hopped out the car. She was in a beautiful floral dress, she had obviously been out somewhere nice.

"I needed to see you," I said walking up to her. The rain had soaked through my t-shirt but I didn't care.

"So you flew all the way from Monaco?" She looked confused, rain dripping down her face.

"Yes, it's the least I can do after everything I did."

"Charles," she shook her head and began to walk away from me.

"No, y/n, please hear me out," I grabbed her hand. "I did everything wrong and I know it. These past few weeks have been horrible and I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have given her money, when I did, I should've told you. When you walked out, I should've followed you and when I saw you at the party I shouldn't have left. But, I made all those mistakes and I understand if you never want to speak to me again. I promised not to break your heart and I did, and that hurts me more. I love you y/n, I never stopped loving you."

I took a deep breath. I couldn't read her face. The rain had soaked both of us, her hair now hung round her face, somehow making her look even more beautiful.

She finally spoke. "This is very Taylor Swift."

And she kissed me.