Six

"No I'm not going on a double date with you, Avana. This date starts in what? An hour? And you're only telling me now?" I scold Avana for begging me to go on a double date with her only a couple hours in advance.

"He only let me know today that he's bringing a friend, please Malia I promise I won't ask of you anything again." Avana pleads looking at me with puppy eyes hoping I will say yes. If I was in her position I would definitely like my friend to tag along but it's just too late of a notice to not go into work.

"Yeah sorry Avana, I can't." I tell her lowly hoping she can get this mystery guy to ditch his friend.

"I would love you to come to make sure I'm safe, and make sure they're not creeps." And there she goes playing the safety card on me knowing I would lay down my life for my friends and family. She does have a point, she'll be stuck with two guys and we never know what can happen. Reluctantly I call in and push my shift back at least an hour just for this. After letting Michelle, who's the scheduling receptionist know I'll be in later today I go ahead and get ready to accompany Avana. I don't put much effort into the look for this double date. It's not like I'm about to meet the love of my life or something.
I pair my go-to leather black jacket with the skin tight knee length dress. I pair it with my black combat boots to finish off the look. Of course Avana is more dressed up given that it's her date. She's in a mermaid blue strapless dress which she pairs with a black denim jacket. Her auburn-red dyed hair sits up in a curly bun, she looks absolutely stunning and if I was a guy I'd be kissing her feet.
We flag down a taxi and head to the venue. Apparently this guy set up a date at a smoothie,yogurt and ice cream bar. They serve anything from frozen yogurt deserts to ice cream cakes and a bunch of goodies.

We finally arrive at the location, and Avana informs me that her mister and his friend were inside. When we arrive at the table where the guys are, I almost pass out when my eyes behold none other than Jane Pritchard . I can tell Avana was taken aback by her sudden pause before greeting her date. I hesitantly greet everyone before taking a seat directly in front of Jane. If someone told me that I was going to suffer a heart attack right at this moment, I would believe them without having to consult a physician. The way my heart is thumping inside my chest is concerning. Avana being the bubbly spirit she is starts off the conversation. Throughout the entire conversation neither I nor Jane uttered a single word and I was starting to think that he was just as miserable as I am. For Pete's sake I knew I wasn't going to meet my husband but couldn't it be anybody else but him? It's been fifteen minutes into the 'date' and all we've managed to do is look at each other periodically.

"So you two aren't going to say anything at all." Sabin, Avana's date asks staring at his friend curiously.

"Yeah there's not much to say." I let Sabin know before he decides he would like to leave the table with Avana. She agrees and saunters off with him leaving the both of us in a more awkward state than before.

"So...you like my pictures?" Jane says out of the blue, leaving me to figure out how the heck I'm going to dig myself out of the hole I've made for myself.

"I have no idea what you're speaking about."He takes a sip of his water, and I notice a droplet linger on his upper lip before it dries. Only now I realize how nice his lips are. Plump, pink and soft..well I'm not sure about soft unless I try.

"mal.rose liked my picture and you can't tell me that's not you. There's a picture here." He flips his iPhone around showing me his view of my profile. Defeated by the evidence I give in.

"Okay, I liked a picture so what?"

"But why were you denying it?" He asks and I'm left stuck in a puddle that I've created once again. "You do know I don't care right?"