Fourteen

I shuffle into the Uber beside Avana and Blair as we make our way to a Halloween house party. Avana suggested that we tag along to this party with her because her new found Lord and Saviour Sabin had invited her. The exhaustion from work gradually leaves my body as I'm ready to party hard. My body beams with anticipation and I feel the rush of euphoria as we all giggle to our waggish comments. It's been a while since I've went out and had fun. Given that I work at a bar, most people would agree that I'm living the night life every day but contrary to popular belief, I'm not. Sure I dance to the music being played at the bar but it was nothing compared to being free of no responsibilities for about an hour or two. After about a twenty-five minute drive, our driver turns into a massive yard accented with a creme coloured brick Mediterranean styled home. Just like in the movies, a water fountain sits pretty in the middle of the entrance. Whoever owns this home has a money tree I'm certain because in New York this is probably worth three million. There's a handful of people at the entrance talking, drinking and enjoying each others company while bouncing to the faint music that's coming from the inside of the home. Of course just like I expected, one of them is wearing a clown costume and I make a mental note to walk on the opposite side of the stairs when we get out of the car.

We all thank the driver for getting us to our destination before walking side by side up the paved stairs to the door. Avana is in front of Blair and I, so she pushes open the door which gives us a view of the super packed space. The foyer of this home is massive but the presence of people at every corner makes it seem five times smaller. Avana tells us that she's off to find Sabin, leaving Blair and I floating around. We grab drinks from the cooler, mine a coke and hers a beer. Even if I'm not legally able to drink, I've had a few alcohol here and there. Only at house parties though because let's be real no one's even checking for that.

Blair is a social butterfly and finds herself wrapped up with a guy talking about whether the Earth is flat. Mentally, I check out and decide to just wander around until I can find a group of people playing games so I can join. Finally I catch up on a group of girls playing pull and pass. They frantically ask me to join in as they fawn over my costume and hair. I squeeze in between two girls dressed as a vampire and Chucky's bride. The flimsy card is then passed to me and I pull with all the air in my tiny body, managing to hold and pass to vamp girl. She drops and start locking lips with the blond next to her. The kiss went in for longer than it should and the cheeky smiles on their faces left on that this kiss is far from over. To add some excitement to the game, the person who drops the card needs to take a shot. I immediately roll my eyes knowing that I'm complete trash at this game and would be lucky if I make two rounds. I play a couple more rounds before the group starts flocking away to the the dance floor. There's another corner of the house where more people are playing silly party games. Im drawn to the boisterous laughter and let my feet take me to wherever my heedless spirit leads me. In the midst of about eight people, I spot Avana and Sabin snuggled up on the couch, their eyes twinkling with anticipation. I guess they're waiting on someone to do something and my eyes follow theirs. Jane sits from across them with a stoic demeanour while others laugh around him.

Why the heck is Jane here? Do you know how awkward this can be if he sees me here?

I mean it's only awkward if I make it but its's not fun when you're in the same place with your uncool boss.

I prey on him like a hawk, waiting for what everyone else is looking for I guess. While in the process of course I take advantage of his oblivion and admire his manliness. His outfit has changed since I saw him at work. Still very much the same concept but instead of khakis, it's now replaced with dark washed jeans. His fitted white shirt hugs him in all the right places and a Yankees snapback tops off the look. His sculpted arm his accented with a gold luxury watch. I'm pretty sure it's Versace but I can't tell from where I'm standing. Just like hell raising fate, Jane's eyes scan his surrounding. He pauses when his eyes behold me and I try with all my might to disappear into a puff of smoke. Just as I thought, disappearing didn't work and now I have to burn with humiliation.