Chapter 1

The familiar sound of static erupts from the speakers as I place the needle on the edge of the vinyl. My body sways side to side as The Who's Run Run Run begins to fill the room.

"Will you turn that down, please? I can barely hear myself think," My sister, Elaine begs.

A huff of air pushes through my mouth, but I listen to her request. "Isn't that the best part of music? You can get lost in it like you're in a different world."

"I guess," she says with a shrug of her shoulders. Elaine plugs the iron into the wall, then waves for me to sit beside her.

I lay on my side with my long brown hair draped over a towel, ready for my sister to begin the straightening process. Her long hair is pulled back in a sleek, high ponytail, and I wonder if I should also wear my hair up.

The humid, mid-August weather mixed with the iron's steam causes sweat to form on my brow and down my neck. The wall fan that occasionally blows over my body is my only saving grace.

My eyes close, and I attempt to get lost in Pete Townshend's genius. It works for a few minutes before I am rudely brought back to earth by Elaine clearing her throat. "Speaking of music, did you hear about the festival happening in New York next week?"

Have I heard of it? Ha!

Of course, I have heard about it! The talk going around has me foaming at the mouth in jealousy, knowing that I won't be able to attend.

Silence and humidity cause an unbearable shift in our usually cheery atmosphere. I peek through my lashes and notice Elaine playing with her fingers.

My hands push against the long yellow fibers of my shag rug, and I hoist myself up. Not liking how Elaine fiddles with her fingers, my hand reaches out to stop her. "What about it?"

When Elaine's deep brown eyes meet mine, she smiles. "I think we should go."

"What?"

"Hear me out," She says, putting her hands on my shoulders. "We both leave for college in a few weeks, and next year will be the first time we will not be able to see each other all the time."

My heart sinks thinking of a life without Elaine. We were born eighteen months apart, and although we bicker constantly, she is my best friend.

Last year was difficult for me, and adjusting to her being away messed with me mentally. A part of me thought I would follow in her footsteps and attend the same college. After her departure, I realized how dependent I was on my older sister and knew I needed to find my own way.

A sigh falls from my parted lips, and my shoulders drop. I hate the sadness etched on my big sister's face and wrap my arms around her. "That's not true! We are only going to be forty-five minutes apart. No different than this year!"

"Please," She scoffs. "You're going to be in New York, the city that never sleeps."

"I'm serious, Elaine." I push her shoulder to try and lighten the mood. "We are still only a train ride away from each other,"

"I guess," she sighs.

Elaine gets up and turns off my record player, and I immediately miss the catchy melody of Boris the Spider. She begins to pace the floor and twists the ends of raven-colored hair in her fingers. "Listen, today is your eighteenth birthday, and as a gift, I will talk to Mom and Dad about it tonight."

Visions of the possible outcome of that conversation play in my mind, and I hold in my laughter. My parents are definitely not strict compared to most, and unfortunately, a lot has happened this past year that has caused them to pull in the reins.

My sister is looking at me with her hands in a praying position. Her lips pulled in the most pathetic puppy-dog frown as she bounces on the balls of her feet like a toddler waiting for my response.

The word "Fine" barely has enough time to fall from my mouth before an eardrum-popping screech comes from my sister. She rushes over, tackles me to the bed, and wraps her arms around me. As if concrete stones have made their way onto my chest, it becomes hard to breathe.

I need to kick her or something.

Once freed, I stand and hold my hands up, desperate for her to stop. Thankfully, she listens to my silent request, and I'm able to wipe the sweat dripping down my face without fear of being attacked. "Listen, you can ask all you want, but I don't want you to get your hopes up. Mom and Dad have really changed with both you and Daniel gone."

Elaine must think I am joking because she waves off my comment as if it is a fly annoying her. "I said I would take care of it. I promise." With a pep in her step, she hurries and opens my door. Before she leaves, she turns back at me with a radiant smile. "Don't worry. I have a plan. Now, get dressed for your birthday dinner, where I gift you the greatest gift ever, Woodstock."

Her words hit me like a bullet to the chest, and I fall back onto my bed. With my hands clutching tightly to my shirt, I try to slow down my rapid breaths.

Could I, Gwendolyn Harris, really attend this epic music festival?

I'm praying Elaine can deliver on her promise. With that, my mind begins to race, wondering what tricks she has up her sleeve.