Chapter 2

Dad continues to read today's newspaper while Elaine and I sit silently at the table. My leg has been bouncing erratically as I stare aimlessly out the dining room window.

My sister has yet to bring up the topic of Woodstock, and my nerves are shot.

Elaine and I have our differences, but she knows my heart beats in time with whatever song I'm listening to. She would never mention something as a life-changing music festival if she weren't serious about it.

The gentle clink of silverware in front of me draws me from my thoughts. When I look up, I am greeted by my mother's soft brown eyes. "Is everything alright, Dear?"

"Yes," I say a little too quickly to be convincing. Her brows furrow, and I begin to brush away imaginary debris from the wooden table top. "I'm just tired."

She places her delicate hand on my shoulder and gives me a soft squeeze. "You had a busy week. You have been watching the Taylor children all summer. It's not easy taking care of two rambunctious boys."

Being surrounded by two toddlers was a fantastic form of birth control. I thoroughly enjoy playing with them all day and then having the blessing of handing them off to their parents when they get home from work. Plus, I was able to save some money from my babysitting for college or maybe for this trip to New York if Elaine ever brings it up.

A loud knock at the door blares through our house, and my mother lets out an airy giggle. Shaking her head playfully, she says, "Those Walker kids, I miss having them around."

My head snaps up, and I glance at Elaine. Her tight-lipped smile causes the corners of her eyes to close.

This is it, The moment I have been waiting for.

"Daddy?" Elaine quietly asks.

"Yes, Sweetheart?" He answers without lowering his newspaper.

"Well, I have something important to ask you." She pauses and kicks my leg from the other side of the table. "I wanted to do something memorable for Gwen's birthday. We are both technically adults now, but I wouldn't want to do anything without running it by you first. I respect you too much."

Oh, she's good.

My father slowly lowers the paper. His dark brown eyes bore in Elaine's direction, his face made of stone. "Don't patronize me, Elaine. What do you want?"

No. No. No. This is not going how I hoped.

"You're right, Daddy. I'm sorry," Elaine apologizes, then bats her long lashes. "I just wanted to ask if it was okay if I took Gwen camping."

"Absolutely not."

If my heart could fall from my chest, it would now be in my toes. "Why?"

My mother strolls into the room with a smile so wide I can almost see her molars. Following her are Rose and Bobby Walker, our next-door neighbors. "Why what?" she asks.

"Nothing," My father mumbles as he brings his gaze back to his paper.

Rose places a bouquet of white daisies in front of me before wrapping her dainty arms around my body. Her cheek presses against mine as her long blonde hair falls in front of my shoulder. "My Sweet Pea is all grown up!"

I attempt to get up from my seated position and turn to greet her properly, but she has me in a tight hold for such a slender woman. "I'm not even two years younger than you, Rose."

She completely ignores me and squeezes tighter. "I remember the day you were born like it was yesterday."

"You were like one and a half. That's impossible."