Wattpad Original
There are 28 more free parts

Ch. 4: Mistake

Fiona drops me off at work and whistles at the sight of the building

Fiona drops me off at work and whistles at the sight of the building. "That's pretty fancy, babe," she says.

"Yeah." It definitely is. At thirteen stories, the sleek black and glass building is very impressive, but also a bit intimidating.

"You sure you gonna be good getting home?" she asks worriedly. "Paul, can get you after work?"

I inhale deeply and nod. My brother somehow managed to get my car started last night and brought it to a body shop owned by a friend of his. I should get an estimate of what it would cost me to get the car working later today. And that is not something I'm looking forward to. In the meantime, my brother and Fiona have agreed to take turns bringing me to and from work. And to and from the day care.

I hate inconveniencing my friends, but in this case, I have no choice. Luckily Fiona hadn't seemed very upset when she appeared at our door this morning with a box of donuts. Bella had screamed and thrown herself into Fiona's arms. Her grumpy temperament and refusal to get dressed had changed in an instant when she'd spotted her honorary "Aunt Fifi."

Rory hadn't been far behind his sister. His drooling grin and happy squeal had made Fiona laugh.

So, I couldn't even reprimand her for the unhealthy breakfast she brought. Plus, I'd been too busy drinking the large cup of coffee she handed me. And hell, everyone deserved a donut sometimes. Even me.

"Thanks, Fiona," I say and step out of her car, smoothing down my dark blue dress as I do.

"I'll see you tomorrow morning," she responds. "Have a wonderful day. Enjoy the view."

She means enjoy the Cartwright brothers, not the view of downtown, even though that's pretty spectacular too. But I've only met one of the brothers, and even though he's gorgeous, I'm not impressed.

I snort, and she laughs.

Preston Cartwright's car isn't in the parking spot it was in yesterday, and I can't see it anywhere. I smile as I enter the building, happy to be there before him.

Neither Alana nor Lydia is at their desks, and somehow that makes me even happier. I'll have a few minutes to myself, and I'm going to figure out how to work that freaking spaceship of a coffee machine.

I drop my stuff off in the closet, put my lunch bag in the refrigerator, and stare down at the coffee machine.

"You're on," I say to it, like it's a dare, and pull a cup out of the cabinet. I'm determined to get another cup of coffee before I start to work. I make sure the machine is plugged in and press a button that simply says brew, and when it works, I cheer out loud.

"Wow, someone is really excited about a cup of coffee," a male voice says behind me, and I jump. Turning around, I find a man dressed in a perfectly tailored gray suit with a light blue tie looking down at me with an amused expression.