Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Ch. 27: Police

I walk into the office on Monday morning with one goal in mind; to turn Preston on

I walk into the office on Monday morning with one goal in mind; to turn Preston on. And hopefully get him to act on it. I'm dressed for success in my new sheath dress. A black form fitting number that ends just above my knees and shows off my curves in a way I'm not completely comfortable with, but I've decided to trust Fiona on this one.

"If you have girls like that, you need to show them off," she assured me when I complained about the deep cleavage the push-up bra created.

"I'm not sure," I tried since it didn't merely make me feel a bit self conscious, but unprofessional too.

"Girl," she said and looked down at her own barely there chest. "Trust me on this one. This is what you need. It'll work."

I'm hoping she's right because I do feel pretty even though I'm not entirely at ease putting myself on display. Taking a deep breath, I pretend I'm a lot more confident than I am in my new get up as I step out of the elevator and reach for the door to the C Suite floor.

But that smile slips off my face and my jaw drops as soon as I open that door. The entire floor is buzzing with activity. The Police are all over the place and the phones are ringing non stop. It takes me a couple of seconds to snap into action, but then I'm moving. All my plans on seducing Preston go out the window. We clearly have bigger things to worry about.

"What's going on?" I ask the closest police officer, who doesn't look to be a day over twenty. I mean, I think I have a pretty good idea what's happening, but it doesn't hurt to confirm.

"We're investigating a crime, ma'am."

No shit. I fight to hold back an eye roll Fiona would've been proud of and just nod.

Throwing my bag down on the floor underneath my desk, I grab the phone receiver and answer one of the ringing phones before I even start the computer. It's a reporter who asks me to comment on the arrests of the Cartwright & Sons COO, Andrew Cartwright.

"What?" I gasp and my hand flies to my chest. That can't be right. This has to be about Marramount and Demers. Right? I know from texting with Preston that he worked the entire weekend to wrap things up. There is too much of a coincidence if it's not.

I glance over at the young officer, but he's busy staring into space.

"Has he been arrested yet?" the reporter continues. "Are they leading him out in cuffs?"

What the hell?

"No, no comment," I respond and hang up, uncertain if it's the right thing to do, but it's always what people say in movies in these circumstances. And I'm not gonna be the one to leak any information.

The phone rings again, but this time I ignore it and get up to search for any of the Cartwright brothers. Lydia and Alana's desks are empty, except for the young officer who is leaning against Alana's desk.