Wattpad Original
There are 24 more free parts

Ch. 8: Mishap

I was late this morning because of my brother

I was late this morning because of my brother. He'd forgotten it was his turn to drop us off, so I had to call and wake him up. When he finally showed up, his hair was a mess, and he'd clearly gotten dressed in a hurry because his clothes didn't match at all, not that his fashion sense was on point normally.

Rory had squealed at the sight of his favorite uncle and fussed until my brother got out of the car and hugged him. It had turned into a whole big to-do with Paul having to be the one to strap Rory into his car seat.

I don't mind being second best to my brother. Rory needs male role models, but it frustrates me when it comes at times when we're in a hurry. And truthfully, that's most of the time. It feels like it's all I do, hurrying from one place to another.

It took us ten minutes to get into the car, thanks to Rory, and then he acted up again at the daycare. And it was not because he wanted me to stay. He wanted my brother. Again, I don't mind that he loves and wants my brother. I want it that way, just not when I'm super late for a new job I desperately need.

By the time I rushed in to work, both Alana and Lydia were already there, and the lights were on in both Preston and Easton's offices.

I threw out a quick "good morning" and hurried over to my desk. I powered on the computer and headed towards the closet to dump my bag and my coat before I went to the kitchen for a cup of coffee.

Thank God it's Friday. Maybe if I go to sleep when the kids do, I'll feel rested in the morning, although I doubt it. I have a good few years of sleep to catch up on.

"Good morning, Valerie." Easton steps up next to me, looking to refill his coffee cup.

"Good morning, Easton."

My latte is finished, so I remove it, and Easton takes my place. I'm happy he doesn't say anything about me being late, and I don't offer an excuse. There is a possibility he didn't notice.

"Do you know the status of the advertising documents for the 34th Street lofts?" he asks.

"I finished that yesterday."

He nods but does not seem convinced.

"I'll resend it to you," I offer.

Easton looks over at me. "Alright. If you could do it this morning, that'd be great."

I realize he doesn't believe that I already did it, but I knew I sent him all that information yesterday. I also notice that he asks me nicely to redo it while his youngest brother would have demanded I do it, probably while stomping his foot.

"Sure, yeah, of course, I'll do it right now," I say and turn to walk back to my desk.

Easton squints his eyes and tilts his head, watching me walk out of the kitchen, and it makes me nervous.

I find out why when I get to my desk and Lydia looks at my shoulder and says, "Oh god, what happened to your blouse?"

"What?"