CHAPTER 3

Six month old Cerise...

MARKO

"David! Cerise is crying for some reason," Paul walks into the room, holding her the wrong way.
I look up from my book.

Paul leans in, but instantly pulls away. "Ugh! She's got the stinky bum! DAVID!" Paul shouts, louder then before.

I stand up. "He's gone."
"Where's Dwayne?"
"Definitely won't be touching that," Dwayne walks by us, and Paul gives him the middle finger.

I chuckle a little, closing my book. "Here, bring her to the table."
Paul walks to the table, saying 'ew' the entire time.
He sets her down, aggressively rubbing his hands on his pants.

I come over with wipes and a new diaper.
"Oh God it stinks!"
"Stop acting like a child," I walk over to her. "You've done this before."
"Uhh..." Paul trails off, before doing a nervous smile.
"You mean me and David are the only ones who have been doing this?!" I exclaim.
"Hey! Your better with the kid then me!" He points out.

I roll my eyes. This is pointless. "Alright...here we go."
I open it up, but then I double over gagging.
"Whose the child now?" Paul says, holding his shirt over his nose.
I push him away, holding my shirt over my nose as well. Seriously, this is bad...what have we been feeding her?!

"Okay, we can get through this. I've changed Cerise's diaper before."
I throw it away, and begin to clean her.
Paul looks like he's about to pass out.
"Diaper," I hold my hand out and he passes it to me.

I put it on her, and lower my shirt. "Okay, she's clean!"
"Thank God!" Paul runs away like a complete coward, leaving me to pick her up and put her back in her cradle.

★★★

"I'm back," David says. He kisses Cerise on the forehead. "Hows our lost girl doing?"
I slowly lower my book to stare at him. If he only knew how bad her change was earlier...
David furrows his brow. "Hm, she smells a little ripe."
"Oh hell no!" Paul takes off running, and so do I.
David looks at Dwayne. "What's there problem?"
Dwayne shrugs. "I don't know."

★★★

One year old Cerise...

DWAYNE

"Come on Cerise you can do it, say Dwayne. Dwwaayyynnee."
"What in the world are you doing?" David asks, crossing his arms as he approaches me.

"Cerise is gonna say her first word any time now. And I know it's gonna be Dwayne."
"Oh please," David rolls his eyes. "She's going to say my name first."

"Actually it'll be mine," Marko walks in, "since I'm the one who does most of the feeding and diaper changing. She loves me more anyway."
"Not true! Just yesterday I played her some music and she loved it! She's gonna say my name."

"Shhhh! She's trying to speak!" I shush them, and everyone falls silent.
Her arms move around a little and she grunts.
"Come on, you can do it," I whisper, anxiously waiting.

Paul scoffs. "You know whats gonna happen once she starts talking? She's gonna back talk."
"Shh!" Marko shushes Paul.
David's smiling, a smile that I've never seen before...

"Fa-fr, da..." Cerise starts to say.
"She's gonna do it! She's gonna say..."

"Sh- shit!" She says.

Our eyes widen.

"Her first word is a swear word?!"
"Whose been swearing around Cerise?" David shoots a glare at all of us. I raise my hands. "Not me, I know better!"
Marko runs a hand down his arm. "It could've been me..."
"Or me," Paul mumbles, afraid to look at David in the eye.

"Or David," I point out, which makes his head snap in fury towards me. "I never swear in front of our daughter," he says matter-of-factly.

Cerise says it again, and I throw a hand over her mouth. "That's a bad word Cerise!"
"Looks like we gotta write a list of No-No's," Marko points out.

David sighs. "Alright...it was me. I swore in front of Cerise."
Our heads turn towards him. "You tried putting the blame on me?!"
"Get him!"
We chase after David. We run around the cave like maniacs, tripping over our own feet.
"You ruined her first word!" I shout.

Paul stops running, and so does Marko.
"Though you gotta admit, it was funny," Paul laughs with Marko.

★★★

Two year old Cerise...

DAVID

Cerise is sitting in my wheelchair, sucking on her thumb. She's totally unaware of what's going on, or whose about to approach her.

I sneak up behind her, and when the moment is right, I reach down and lift her into the air. "Gotcha!"

She squeals in joy as I swing her around in the air. I make it seem like she's flying, and she's loving every second of it.
When I stop doing that, I hold her against my chest, pushing aside some of her long brunette hair out of her brown eyes.

"You were sitting in my chair, love," I say, and she reaches out to touch my face.
"I'm sowwy," she says, in that cute little baby voice that makes my heart melt.

I smile. "Aw, I can't stay mad at you," I kiss her chubby cheek, and she giggles.
"Here," I set her back in the seat. "Wanna go for a ride?"
I grab the handles in the back. "Hold on tight!"

And with that, I push her around the cave.

She's laughing hysterically as she claps.
"Can I get a turn?" Marko comes in. I laugh, "nope."

He picks Cerise up. "Daddy's being mean!" He says, throwing her in the air before catching. "What are we gonna do about it?"
"Nothing," Paul takes her, giving her a hug. "Cerise wants to hang with me."
"Actually me," Dwayne takes her, giving her a kiss. "We're reading Where The Wild Things Are."

I roll my eyes. It always goes like this, one is fighting the other for Cerise...

"If you'll excuse us boys, Cerise and I were playing Wheel Chair, so if you could be so kind and leave?" I take her back, putting her in the chair and continuing my run around with her.

The three guys stare at us.

"Never seen him so happy. Have you?"
"No," Marko shakes his head. "To be honest, I don't think we knew true happiness until she came along."
"Yeah," Paul agrees. "I'm glad she's here."
"Me too," Dwayne says, "she's such a fun kid."
Marko smiles at them. "I hope she stays with us forever."

I pick Cerise up. "I love you dada," she says sweetly.
I smile. "Love you too, kiddo."

★★★

Three year old Cerise...

PAUL

"Alright kid," I set the stereo down in front of you. "It's time you learn about the greats."
I put a disc in and rock music begins to play.

She doesn't cry or freak, she's used to this type of noise. It's all we listen to, anyway.
I kneel down in front of her. "Do you know who that is?"
She shakes her head softly, and I pick her up.

"That's Aerosmith!" I begin to dance to the song "Walk This Way."
I sway her around and she laughs.

"Come on let's dance!" I set her down and dance beside her.
Whatever move I do, she does too.
I jump a little, and so does she.
I shake my bum, and she does too.

It's the cutest damn thing ever.

"Alright!" I pick her up, "you got the moves kid!" I push aside some of her hair, "maybe I'll convince David to let you get a lightening bolt earring."
"She's too young," David walks up along with the other three trailing behind him, "maybe when she's sixteen."

I laugh.
Marko kneels down. "May I have this dance?"
He picks her up and begins to dance around. Bobbing his head, jumping around like a rocker.
Soon, we're all doing it, dancing like total idiots with our little girl, not a care in the world.