Those who fight together stay together

I stared at the screen before me. I grumbled rubbing my forehead, "this doesn't make any sense."

"You're telling me," Reed grumbled, "when you asked me to help you out I didn't think....this doesn't make any sense Peter."

"I know, I just said that," I grumbled.

"Have you tried UV?" Sue asked from the computer, typing away an email.

"Yes, it still doesn't show any difference," Reed grumbled, "this doesn't make any sense. How does this even happen? It should be impossible!"

"And yet I am currently standing here before you completely possible," I told him with a raised eyebrow.

"Your blood is impossible Peter, nothing else I can call it," Reed zoomed in on the microscope we used to examine my blood on a cellular level. The screen showed a single one of my cells and its genetic properties, the DNA helix, rotating on it's axis.

"It looks like it somehow adapted spider like quality into itself, but only took on the good one," Sue hummed, "like it picked and chose what it knew would be beneficial."

"But it can't do that because it's not alive!" Reed exclaimed, "God damn it Peter this doesn't make any sense!" I roared and threw his notes into the air, walking out my lab in a cloud of smoke.

"Don't mind him, he just doesn't like not knowing something," Sue sighed, "it's an ego thing. But it is to be expected, he's a physicist, not an genesist."

I hummed, "I see, do you think you can give this a go?" I asked.

"Let's see," Sue got up and approached the screen scanning my DNA, "did you analyse the genomes?"

"Yup, here, can't make head or tails of it though." I gave her an SA with the data she requested.

Sue looked at it quickly making notes near each one. I took us a while, but after she was done with one entire sequence she put the SA aside and sighed, "Reed's right, this shouldn't be possible. It's almost like...like your DNA adapts itself to foreign objects. It some how assimilated the spider genes into itself, allowing you access to it's abilities."

"So that property existed in my blood before the spider bite me?" I asked.

"It looks like it," Sue pointed at a strand, "see this? That was going to make you agile and strong like a spider. And it has nothing to do with your DNA adapting itself against foreign object."

One eyebrow went up, "so are you saying I'm a mutant?"

Sue shook her head, "no, the mutant gene is clearly marked and visible. If that was the case Reed wouldn't currently be in the kitchen eating an entire tub of ice cream," I blinked, "yeah, he does that when he can't solve something."

I chuckled, "damn."

"Anyway, your blood, your DNA...it's something more. It's...I would say it's similar to our own DNA, it's mutated into something else entirely, not quite mutant, but definitely not human."

"So....a metahuman?" I asked in wonder, coining the term I knew that was popular in the DC comics.

"Yes...I suppose that would be an accurate word for what you are," Sue nodded, "though it really is strange, just how does your blood act this way?" She hummed going into an almost trance like state. I knew better to bother her, best leave her alone.

I went to my workstation, on it was the Doom bot I had 'precured', broken apart into various pieces. I was learning more about Doom's tech, it really was interesting.