CHAPTER ONE

MARCH
ANNA

Sipping on my second mint mojito for the night, I lean against the bar top observing the club I'm in. It's loud and getting humid here, overcrowded by a mixture of groups. I've been here for a little over two hours wondering if I should leave after I finish this drink. The girls I met earlier at the nursing convention are scattered all over the crowded dance floor.

My stomach growls as I sigh and turn back around and run my fingers down the condensation on my drink. My feet are killing me in these cheap black strappy heels I bought right after I was invited out tonight. My white long sleeve bodycon dress is sticking to me. Nodding my head to myself, I made the decision to just go back to my room upstairs to order room service. I should at least find one of the girls to tell them I'm leaving, it's rude if I don't.

Downing the rest of my drink, I turn around and bump into a hard wall. I bounce back and one of my heels slips on the wet sticky floor. My arms reach forward hoping to grab onto anything before I fall backwards to my doom. I feel a strong arm and the strong scent of peppermint wrap around me, pulling me forward, into a hard body. I blink hard, refocusing my vision to what's in front of me. A black dress shirt perfectly wrapped around a hard chest and thick arms wrapped around me. Slowly raising my eyes, a hard chiseled jaw sprinkled with perfectly trimmed facial hair. His hair is shaved on the sides with his curly hair long on top. I feel my body heating up as I look into the most captivating green eyes with long thick lashes looking down at me in concern.

His warm hand is still on my waist, his thumb rubbing small circles on my hip. He's saying something, but I can't hear him over the loud music. Catching on, he leans down and with the most deep velvety voice I've ever heard, he asks in my ear, "Are you okay?" He pulls back, an inch away from my face.

I blink. Swallowing, I open my mouth, but too nervous to say anything. I shut my mouth and give him a small nod.

He gives me a smile revealing the prettiest smile I've ever seen. He leans down again, "Can I get you a drink?"

Before I can give him an answer, I feel my stomach growl. I frown, realizing I'm still hungry. His smile drops a little thinking I was rejecting him. He's about to speak again, but before he does, I find my voice, "I wanted to leave to find food." Giving him a small shy smile.

He chuckles, "Is it okay if I join you?"

I look around at the club, and turn back to him, "Are you sure you want to leave?" He nods in response. "Okay, I'd love some company."

He gives me a charming smile and takes a step back from me, I didn't realize I was pressed against him this entire time. My cheeks flush at that realization. His hand leaves my waist, reaching down and taking hold of my hand. He nods his head towards the direction of the exit. I nod my head in assurance, and he leads me out of the club.

As we step into the lobby, the music has died down, and the only noise surrounding us is the buzzing noise of slot machines. Realizing this is my last night here, I ask, "Is it okay if we walk the strip? It's my first time here and I haven't been able to explore since I got here."

He looks over at me and nods, "Is there anywhere specific you want to eat?"

Tilting my head side to side, wracking my head around all the endless options here, I think of one place that's on the top of my list. I smile, "In N Out."

He looks a little surprised, but a full smile takes over his face, "Okay. I'll lead the way."

As we're walking shoulder to shoulder, he leads me through the shops, his thumb rubbing soft circles on the back of my hands. He stops us in front of a bench, "Sit here, I just have to grab something and I'll be right back. It'll be 10 minutes at most."