CHAPTER FOUR

5 HOURS LATER

After hours of screaming and crying, my baby is finally sleeping peacefully on my chest. He came out a cute chunky baby with a head full of loose curls and green hazel eyes just like his father. I'm so in love with this bundle of joy. I'm too afraid to even look away from him.

"Do you have a name for him? Amelia asks from my other side.

Without looking up, I smile down at my son, "Matteo. And I'll give him my last name."

"That's a beautiful name. Matteo Hayes." Mrs. Ricci beams at me from my other side.

I look up at her. My heart is full from seeing the love in her eyes for my son. She's been so perfect with me the last few hours. Sharing stories of her own children and the wonders of being a mother. Holding my hand and walking me through the entire process. I'm so grateful for her for stepping up for me and my baby. I smile at her and ask, "Would you like to hold him?"

She beams, "Can I really?"

I give her a reassuring smile and nod.

She carefully lifts him from my chest and holds him close to her chest, as she softly rubs his back, she whispers into his hair, "You're going to be such a beautiful boy."

Watching her interact with him, I asked her something I never thought was in the cards, "I don't have any family. If you'd like.. You can be his honorary grandma." I look down at my hands, nervously playing with my fingers.

"Really? Are you sure?" I hear the small crack in her voice.

I nod my head.

She beams with tears in her eyes, "I would love that. I'm going to spoil him rotten."

I rush to argue, "You don't have to, it's not why I asked."

She shakes her head at me, "My kids aren't ready to settle down yet and I've been wanting grandbabies to spoil. Matteo is perfect and I'm going to love him like my own blood." Giving me a reassuring smile.

Amelia speaks up, "It's okay, just accept it. She won't take no for an answer."

I nod at her, "I'd like you to be his god mom. If anything ever happens to me, I want to know he'll be okay. And I know that's with you."

"I owe you my life for saving me Anna, I'm going to make sure you're both okay." She gently grabs my hand and gives me a small squeeze.

Joanna knocks on the door, "Hey, we want to take your baby for testing."

Before I can respond, Mrs. Ricci jumps in, "I'll take him and will be there the whole time. Get some rest."

"Okay, thank you." I give both of them a soft smile.

"Of course sweetheart." She walks off with a sleeping Matteo and her guard, following behind Joanna.

"Sleep, I'm going to be right outside. I'll be here when you wake up." Amelia pats my hand and gets up to leave.

Grateful for the time alone, I close my eyes and the exhaustion from the entire day finally kicks in.

2 HOURS LATER

I wake up as Mrs. Ricci enters the room with Matteo in her arms. She settles him into my arm, and he's looking at me with wide eyes. I rub his cheek, admiring how beautiful it is.

"You're moving to Chicago." Mrs. Ricci states as a fact.

"But I..." Trying to list the reasons and why it's impossible.