CHAPTER FIVE

MARCH
ANNA

Wearing my new scrubs under my knee length puffer jacket, I walk through the apartment lobby. Leonard, the doorman, smiles as he opens the door for me, "Have a good day Ms. Hayes and good luck on your first day."

"Thank you Leonard!" I smile back at him.

The weather in Chicago is cold, a lot colder than I'm used to compared to Tampa, Florida. I was freezing during the last few months of snow, but thankfully I didn't have to leave my apartment much. I pass by the coffee shops, a bakery, and a flower boutique. The hospital is only 2 blocks away, which makes it super convenient. I enter the warm lobby of the hospital and look around amazed at how beautiful it was compared to the pictures I've seen online. I can't believe I'll be working here.

I stop at the front desk, the receptionist greeting me with a polite smile, "Hi, how may I help you?"

"My name is Anna Hayes, I'm supposed to start my program today."

"Ahh yes, welcome Ms. Hayes. You'll be meeting the director of the hospital first, and then someone will take you on a tour. He will be on floor 15, I'll grant you access once you get in." She points at the elevator to my right.

"Thank you." I smile politely at her as I make my way to the elevator. Once the elevator begins moving, and the door opens, all I see is a large lobby, and a desk sitting in front of double doors. I walk up to the red headed women sitting there.

"Hello Ms. Hayes, You can go in. Dr. Santini is ready to see you." She nods her head towards the door behind her.

I let out a soft, "Thank you." before making my way in.

I give the door a soft knock, hearing a gruff, "Come in."

As I open the door, the first thing I notice is the large ceiling to window walls behind the massive desk. There's floor to ceiling bookshelves along one wall, and decorative items on the other wall, with what looks like a personal restroom next to it.

The man behind the desk grunts out, "Sit."

I immediately rushed to the chair in front of his desk, plopping down, waiting for him to speak.

As he works on his computer, I quietly observe him. He has dark sandy brown hair, neatly styled to the side, and hazel eyes. He looks fairly young, handsome too. But definitely not my type. His eyes aren't green enough, He looks too clean cut for any tattoos. His hair is too neat. I sigh as I think back to AJ. I wonder what he's doing today. It's his birthday after all.

"So Ms. Hayes." I look up as he leans back in his chair, in a more relaxed posture. "I'm Dr. Armani Santini, I'm also the director of this hospital in charge of overseeing your position in the program."

I nod my head in understanding.

"A lot of the board members weren't on board to take you on for your transfer because of a phone call, but your resume did a number on them. Your perfect scores and letter of recommendations exceeded their expectations. However, they are still wary about your arrival. They'll be watching you closely from now until you finish. The numbers show you're a complete genius, and don't take this lightly. You will need to prove yourself to everyone at this hospital until they deem you worthy of your spot here."

"Okay." is all I can get out.

A knock on the door has us both turning to turn our heads to the door. "Hey Jane, come in." She's a petite girl with long dark chocolate waves and soft light brown eyes, She flushes as she walks in.

"Ms. Hayes, this is Jane, she'll give you a tour of the hospital and show you where your classes are." He gives her his full attention, giving her the first smile I've seen on his face since I've been here.