CHAPTER NINE

MARCH 10TH
ANNA

"Are you sure you don't want to celebrate your birthday? We can have a small dinner." Mrs. Ricci looks at me with hopeful eyes as she hands me a plate filled with breakfast food.

I smile at her and shake my head. "I'm positive, I just want to spend the day with Matteo." I look over at him as he smashes a strawberry into his mouth.

She pouts at me, "Well let me know if you change your mind."

I nod my head, knowing I won't.

"I'll get out of your hair. Send me pictures of you guys when you get to the park." She kisses us both on the cheek. "And happy birthday Anna, I'm happy you're in our lives."

I blush, "thank you."

I look down at Matteo, "Ready to go to the park bubs?"

A smile takes over his face as he yells, "Pawk!"

I chuckle, kissing his head, I clear our plate.

After a good day at the park and a stroll through the city, Matteo passed out in my arms. When the elevator opens, I look down at my door to see a bouquet of peonies and a gift bag sitting next to it. Butterflies erupt in my stomach knowing who they came from. I opened my door, carefully stepping over them, I placed Matteo in his bed and quietly ran back to my front door. I grab both of them, placing them on my coffee table. I snap a picture before pulling the card out of the peonies.

"I saw this and thought of you. I hope you're having an amazing day. Happy birthday angel <3"

I stick my hand in the bag, feeling around the tissue paper, I feel a square box, pulling it out. It's a chocolate cupcake. My heart melts at how thoughtful he is. The next thing I pull out is a navy blue velvet rectangle jewelry box wrapped with a bow. Pulling the bow apart, I slowly open it. I gasp at the sight. It's 2 hearts interconnected surrounded with small diamonds. The diamond sparkles as I touch it. Carefully taking it out of the box, I clasp it around my neck. I tear up at how pretty it is.

Me: picture message

Me: Thank you, you really didn't have to, but I love it so much :')

Ant: You deserve the world, Happy Birthday :)

MARCH 13TH

"Ouuuh like jello! Gimme!" Amelia shouts in excitement as I walk in with her favorite flavored jello.

I laugh and shake my head, handing it to her, "I can't believe you like this."

She shrugs as she digs into her 5th cup today.

"How are you feeling now?" I ask.

"It doesn't hurt that bad. See." As she pokes her bandage.

I smack her hand, scolding her, "Don't do that, I don't want your stitches opening."

She sticks her tongue out at me.

Laughing, "I don't know how you're already back to normal. Most of my patients would still be crying right now."

"Like Angelo?" She teases.

"Hey I didn't cry!" Angelo argues, but Mandy silently nods her head and mouths, "yes he did." He catches her and argues, "I didn't!" She walks away laughing at him as I try to stifle my giggles.

"How're you doing kid?" He looks at Amelia.

"I think I might be dying." She deadpans.

He smacks her leg, "Just for that, I'm going to kick your ass when we start training again."